staining a canopy to match the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staining a canopy to match the stand?

So I finally got a canopy for my 75g tank.  However, the tone of the canopy is a rich dark brown/red.  My stand on the other hand has a plan lighter brown stain.

What could I do to match the stain on both the stand and canopy?
    I ate my fish that died.

Re: staining a canopy to match the stand?

i think your S.O.L. with stain.  paint it.

Comment

I'd have to agree...unless you want to strip it, which is a PAIN. I did with my tank and I regret it.
      I stripped it, sanded it, stained it a redish color, took some steel wool to it, then painted with a dark stain...it's alot of work.

Paint the thing black!
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK
      MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Man that sucks.  I don't really like painted wood.  Guess I have nothing to lose by trying to match the stain.

Don't have to be perfect....just want it as close as can be.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Would a darker stain make the canopy and stand match more?
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

to try for the same color as the canopy use 2 or more coats of stain (the color of the canopy) to darken the stand
            215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
            180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
            58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

yeah that's what I was thinking. The stain one the canopy looks new also.  The stain on my stand is like 10-12 years old.  

What do you guys think I should coat the underside of the canopy with....I don't want any more water damage to the wood.

As of now there is minor water damage to the underside of the canopy cover.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

maybe if you go for a really dark stain...it'll turn out nice. Sometimes the natural color of the wood under and the stain mix together well.  
                Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                Alexa Rae
                Co-President of CAK
                MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Get a light redish stain and regular brown one.  Add one coat, let it dry, then compair. .
                  repeat as necessary. Using the brown or the red depending on how close you are getting
                  I would do the inside of the canopy with white or chrome to reflect more light into the tank.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Yeah the trim on my tank already has a dark brown look. I'm stain both canopy and stand darker to match the tank trimming.

Do you guys have any suggest on which color and brand of stain I should get?

I'm thinking I'm put a coat of water proof gloss on the underside of the canopy.  What you guys think?
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                      I would do the inside of the canopy with white or chrome to reflect more light into the tank.
                      I'm not too worried about how much light I'm losing.  The tank is for trophs and they get a lot light as is.  they can't eat all the green algae that grows.  But thanks for the advice.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I like Varathane Dark Walnut myself
                        canopy is plywood (ash) & stand is pine
                        Takes at least 2 coats to get them close
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Killz comes in white and is a sealer.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

even better than.....i'll look into it.

But first things first.....i got to still try and get the canopy and stand to match.

Its a show tank that is build into the wall so i want to make it looks it's best for people that come over.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Depending on whether or not your stand has a coat of polyeurathane or not, you might not have to strip it.  You are just going to have to get creative with your stain colors to match.  How drastic is the difference?  If there is no polyeurathane, which you can tell because there is water won't bead up on it, you can just keep adding layers.  I would do some testing in an inconspicuous area to see if you can get the color combo close.  But like Phish said, it may take two different shades to make the color that you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X