Altums and Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altums and Angels

My new Altums are growing so fast I decided to take pictures before all the cute grew out them.  These are the ones I got from Dan at HAW and they are like a pack of little wolves with appetites to match.  With the long dorsals and ventrals they have, they look more like squid when they're racing around the tank.  Their behavior is quite different from domestic angels.

And not to be outdone for attention my gold marble and blushing decided to lay almost an entire slate of eggs this morning  8O .  Being the lazy person I am, I'm hoping they will be parent raisers as I really want fry from this pair and a pair of pearlscale zebras that are starting to spawn.

I will speak with the maid and make sure she cleans the glass next time she's here.  Oh wait, that would be me   8) .
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Re: Altums and Angels

Howdy Nancy,

That is GREAT to share the pictures.  I bought 50 pea size blushing sumburst from a friend and the school of fish remind me of your Altums.  They are growing really fast!  Let me know when you have extras.  later, ken

Comment

Very nice!

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Way, way cool!  Thanks for posting the pics.  Don't get to see these in a home environment too often; in fact, never.  Super good luck with them.  Interesting that you say how different their behavior is from domestic angels.

Comment

They have a couple of habits that alarmed me at first.  They like to sleep at the very top at night, almost hidden by the trim and I thought they were having breathing problems.  But, as soon as the lights came on they would start scouring the tank looking for food, literally, in a pack.  Dan suggested a site that has a lot of Altum info and I found out that is their natural tendency at night.  It keeps them away from bottom feeding predatory catfish.  Then after they eat, they completely disappear for a while.  It's like they have vaporized or moved to another tank, maybe they're taking a siesta or something   .  Then they start getting hungry again and the hunt for food begins again.  You can see the bend for their beakish mouth just starting on a couple of the larger ones.  I hope they continue to do well as I've heard many stories of failure when it comes to Altums.

If you get a chance you should make the trip to Dan's to see his display with adults.  They are quite a site to behold.

Comment

Thanks for the extra info. You know me and angels - I love 'em! I did see the display at Dan's. It reminded me of the one they used to have at ADG.
            Some day we should go on an angelfish collecting trip - that w/b really cool!  Is there a NEED for an angelfish club in Houston?  Imagine, an auction with nothing but angels!  Well, and plants, and wood, and plecos, and, ....  :)

Comment

Can we make it to SA on a day trip  :think: .  Humm, I'll bet those rivers in SA have a lot more than just Angels in them, maybe a few snakes and other scary things.

I'm not sure about an Angel only club for Houston, maybe Statewide?

Comment

The first impression I got when I looked at the pictures was of the shuttle craft used by the empire in the Star Wars trilogy.

They are cute, I'd like to see them in formation scanning for food.... :)

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

those little one's are gorgeous....good luck with them all.....
                  thanks for sharing.....

Comment

I was thinking about a world-wide angelfish club. We won't limit ourselves by using the word "Houston" or "Texas" in the club name!

Comment

The altums look great! I'd love to see more photos as they grow... and after the maid cleans the glass!!
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Here's an updated pic of my Altums, that is after I tried to kill them.  They are recovering from a serious case of fin and tail rot.  Out of the 10 I purchased I still have 9 with ravenous appetites, well above the usual mortality rate of 40-60% on these little darlings.  Kudos’ to Dan for importing such strong, young specimens   , they are about quarter size now.  I also had another surprise this morning.  I had pulled a slate of eggs from a sunset blushing and gold angel to try and raise for (don't beat me up over this) feeders for my Altums.  I didn't have any meth blue on hand (to be more specific, could not find) and used hydrogen peroxide and must not have used enough as most all of the eggs started fungusing over so I more or less forgot about them.  Yesterday I put some of my baby abn's in there to clean off the bottom and this morning I noticed about a dozen baby angels swimming around  8O .  So, out came the bbs hatchery and so the saga continues of more fry, more fish, more fry, well you know the pattern  8) .

Comment

Check out http://www.finarama.com when you get a chance.

Awesome place for wild angels.
                          300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
                          225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
                          210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
                          160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Thanks DD, I'm already a member of finarama, but for those who are really into Angels it's an excellent source of information.  I need all the help I can get  :) .

Comment

have you had any fry yet?
                              altums 90 gallon
                              fahaka puffer 68
                              community 60 cube

can't find it make it
                              can find it make it better

Comment

Working...
                              X