Saving the Precious Fryans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving the Precious Fryans

I used to let the mother fish release her fry in the community tank.  Other adult fish get some fresh food and best fit fry survives.  

I started thinking that is kind of cruel.  I would like your help in saving frys.

Thanks Zulab for sharing insight on how to strip frys from the mother.  I am not sure if I have guts to do it though.  Anybody wants to offer a hands on workshop on how to strip frys please let me know.  I will drive to Houston to learn it and pay you with 12 pack or take you to Tokyo One for lunch (just you, not your entire family please.)

I have a 10 gallon tank I emptied it 3 months ago.  It was a nursery tank but I didn't know how to keep the beneficial bacteria once I don't have fish in it.  If I want to use it on as-needed basis, can I transfer water from the community tank to the 10 gal and hoping some of the bacteria also be transferred in the process?  If I add a unused sponge filter or ugf after water transfer, will there be enough beneficial bacteria to process the waste from the fry, or from both the fry and the mother fish if I decide just drop the mother fish in the tank?
Working...
X