Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any back up plan for when the electricity go out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any back up plan for when the electricity go out?

So cause of the rain today my lights were out for 4 hours.  No water movement at all on my trophs tank and I was freaking out.  I'm thinking about buying something to back up a power head or a bubble maker.  Maybe have them run off batteries.  Something to keep the water moving that's all.

So what do you guys do in case the electricity go outs?
    I ate my fish that died.

Re: Any back up plan for when the electricity go out?

Battery operated air pumps.  they sell them at any bait store.  atleast you will have something to keep oxygen in the water.
    I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Comment

The other options are a computer ups for short term backup or a generator for longer term backup time.  sunrise

Comment

check this link out http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...93&pcatid=3693
        I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Comment

I still like my air tank.
          I have an old freon tank that has been fitted with (welded) a 3/8" coupling.
          From there I can add an air valve to fill it up at any gas station and an valve and barb fitting to go to my air lines.
          It won't last forever but it's cheap and easy to refill.
          I have one of those 12v powered compressors for the occasional flat tire.  
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks guys, I might have to order that battery operated air pump from Dr. F and S.

But is there anything out there that could make more flow?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Get an UPS battery backup.

Hook your powerhead to it and then plug it in....in the event of a power outage it will automatically switch on.

PP, with the use of the air tank I woulf be careful....most compressors need to run oil through them and that gets transferred to the air it puts out.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah the UPS looks a lot better than the battery operated air pump.

31 trophs in a 75g is going to need more than some bubbles to make it when the electricity is out.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

No problem, my little 12v tire inflator is an oil-less compressor.  
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I've been trying to teach my fish to hold their breaths, but it isn't going well.........
                    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Mother Nature's way of weeding out the weak in our closed/babied enviroment.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I bought 8 of the battery powered air pumps at the fishing section at walmart...and 48 D cells.

I also have enough extension cord to steal power from a quarter mile away.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

too bad Derek's battery operated air pumps has a unknown status...
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

well Geoff, that goes to show us that we need to put a boot in Delock and get them to have for the rest of the storm season.....

Comment

Something I read yesterday that I never considered and thought I'd share.  You guys probably saw it...it's on the DFS link that Jetchanic posted.

"Tips from our Techs
                              When the filters are not running due to a power outage, it is wise to place your airstones at the top of the aquarium. Under normal conditions, any organic material that is stirred up by airstones placed on the bottom is properly filtered. Placing your airstones at the top of your aquarium during a power outage ensure toxic organic wastes on the bottom are not stirred up and mixed within the aquarium."

:think:  Hmm...I'd never thought about it.
                              Our Fishhouse
                              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                              X