Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Back When

Now Once Upon A Time,  

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I used to have a single 125 gallon tank. (circa 1985) This was back in the day when I cared not so much for the fish itself, but was more interested in watching the carnivors chase down and eat their dinner. Yes boys and girls, I admit I did not care so much for the water temp, or ph level or the hardness, nor did I give a rats anal cavity about the overall water condition, I just wanted to see the carnage the big boys could produce after chasing down their next meal.  I remember having several species of meat eaters, Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, Texas Cichlids, Arrowanna's, Tire Track and Fire Eels, and yes of course Oscars. I would buy a few dozen feeders from the local pet store about 3 times a month and toss the live food into the tank all at once and sit back and watch the mayhem.  

Now the point in this little piece of nostalgia is that I never gave a whole lot of thought and consideration to the fishes environment. I followed the recommendation of the LFS owner and purchased two good sized Fluvals and one air pump with bubble wand and installed them in and on the tank.

And that was that....I had no internet at that time of course, and needless to say no group of fellow boxers to inquire about fish keeping. So again, back to my point, how in the heck did my fish do so well for so many years without the muss and fuss I put into all my tanks now. I never did a "water change" on my tank back then, all I would do is filll it when I noticed the water level was getting close to three or four inches from the top of the tank. Never did I imagine actually testing the water for it's current parameters....heck, I betcha I had not even heard that word/term "parameters" except for maybe once or twice on TV.

SOOOO>.....just how did my fish survive and seemingly flurish (my severums where always producing fry) back in those days? How could someone like me who never gave a second thought or was even aware of a nitrogyn cycle, maintain a 125 gallon tank without losing every fish I put in there?

I sure feel for those fish back in those days, but maybe it was the "less is more" factor, maybe my lack of experience and or knowledge was somehow a blessing to my "pets/entertainers" back then???  For even though I had no clue what I was doing, I had far fewer deaths in those days then I do now. I'm sure it is the many many types of fish I now attempt to keep and the mixing of certain species that I should not attempt to keep together, but again, it was a much more trouble and guilt free experience back then, and for that I am truly thankful.....and the point to all this rambling again....the saying "Ingorance is Bliss" was stuck in my mind after seeing it here on the box somewhere recently.

But to be honest, I did get motivated eventually and started to think more about the water conditions in the tank, I guess that was about the time I noticed the Severums having eggs piled up all over my flat stones.....so I did change my evils way after all, it just took a little more time for me to wake up and smell the tank water......I started to clean the tank, change the filters carbon and clean it's media, heck I even developed my own under gravel filter system using pvc and nylon window screening. Get this, back in those days, a dozen gold fish was like a dollar....and I paid about 3.99 for a five inch Oscar, or 2.29 for a three inch Green Terror....and I remember splurging a whopping 8.00 for my first arrowanna.....oh heck....I need to hit the sack.....

thanks for your time.....Gnite...

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Way Back When

lol...I can't wait to hear the theories that are born outta this one!  
    And not to get off topic, but tire track eels...I think my next door neighbor just gave me one.
    I THINK he's a tire track...he has black dots on his back. Are all freshwater eels aggressive?

**** (that said the real word, I'm sure fishbox will edit it)  :evil:

The little guy buried himself in the sand...he just sticks his nose up every once in a while. He's kinda cute.

Back to the thread though...when I didn't care about water condition, etc...I lost fewer fish as well.
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

you actually read all  that.....smiles.....semi aggressive, but they are meat eaters/carnivors.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

lol..I usually read most of your posts.
        You're funny, in a different way. It makes me laugh.  
        Alexa Rae
        Co-President of CAK

Comment

I read bits and pieces....

You know when I first started the fish hobby I bred Convicts. When it was time for water changes (determined by how many layers of crud on the tank bottom) I would net the fish out and drain as much water as I could....then the tank was carried outside (gravel and all) and hosed off. After that I would plug the heater back in, fill with water and add Amquel. Not even 10mins later I would net the breeding pair back into the tank.

Never had a problem with it but I think it has to do with the water quality out of the tank and the use of Amquel.......or pure blessing/sign/whatever that I was gonna be with fish for a good while.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

OMG Ek...maybe you're like the yoda of fish.  8O
            Alexa Rae
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

I will be honest, I did not read your story, but I have every intention of agreeing with, and adding to the comments of those who respond in such a way that it would elude otherwise.
              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

+1
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Okay, now we have yoda and Shakespeare. I'm impressed. Ek..David..I have a man eater in my tank and all I can find is his little tube nose every once in a while.   8O
                  Alexa Rae
                  Co-President of CAK

Comment

WTF?
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sounds better than cable, I'll get the popcorn.

David Seratt
                      Co-President of CAK

Comment

I wouldn't know what having cable is like.... :(
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yes, sometimes he presses his nose against the tank like a telescope...then my sand will move all over the place and you can see his little nose pop up somewhere random.  8O
                          I just didn't see him as the "killer/meat eating" fish that he apparently is.
                          Alexa Rae
                          Co-President of CAK

Comment

HAHAHAHAH, it's not his nose, its amore.

David Seratt
                            Co-President of CAK

Comment

huh? Ek/CF what is he talking about?
                              Alexa Rae
                              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
                              X