No announcement yet.

Brackish setup? is it easy to maintain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackish setup? is it easy to maintain?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a puffer fish, and in my research I've learned that most of them do best in brackish water... so I've started researching brackish setups.

from what I've read it seems pretty simple, basically all the same equipment as freshwater, just make sure its all safe to use with saltwater.  and then when you do water changes mix in the salt in the correct amount to match the salinity in the tank.  

It seems that the biggest difference is when your adding livestock, you need to acclimate them to your salt levels gradually over a period of a month or more.

Is it really this easy, or are there difficulties that I'm not seeing?

Re: Brackish setup? is it easy to maintain?

All you need is a hydrometer.  
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Its easy.  Not bed kinda like having to buffer ph.

Comment

Not hard at all. The only thing I would suggest is mixing your salt & water at least 12 hours before you do a water change. Just keep a powerhead in the sw mix so that all the salt gets disolved. I noticed if I check my sg right after adding salt and check it again in 12 hours it's different. It seems to go up a few points. Also top off with freshwater. That's about it.
        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

If you don't want to do brackish here is a website that has a list of freshwater puffers (pictures, tank size etc.)

Comment

where is that website?

Comment

its invisible. LOL. Pufferforum is a good site on puffers

Comment

Sorry

Comment

lol no worries dude, I've done similar things... dont know how many times I've sent out emails only to get responses saying I forgot to attach the attachment... x_X

Comment

okay..stupid quesiton... instead of me spending the time searching (I'm feeling lazy at the moment)... when i use my hydrometer.. what would a good reading be for my fugu puffer?
                    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

U really should research it.  If he's brackish and he is brackish is around 1.080 and stronger depending on fish and location. Fugu get up to 25 inches I think and need full saltwater older they get hope u have big tank

Comment

and for a brackish tank a floating hydrometer is more accurate

Comment

I actually just started a Brackish tank for my Figure 8 Puffers.  I thought it was going to be hard, but it's not.  I got my puffers young, so the salt level starts out low and you work your way up to full Brackish.  They are doing great!!

Comment

Most do better full salt older they get

Comment

"Full Brackish"  Is that at High tide or low tide ???  
                              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                              X