krib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krib

i have had a female krib for a while, i was brousing a petco couple of weeks ago and saw a decent looking male krib and bought him for her, she resides in my old 30 gallon planted tank (which is now in a corner on the floor temporarily where i can only see the side of the tank), consequently, other than doing water changes/feeding and making sure all fish are ok, i have not paid close attention the tank (because i can't see most of it), today, i sat on the floor to take a closer look because it seemed like a lot of the tetras were more on the upper part of the tank (they are usually below), and guess what, i have krib fry - i would say about 30 or so, they are moving around the substrate with mom and dad (who are extremely vigilant and protective - thanks god the tank is 24" high for other fish to get away), they look so cute, they are light greyish color with blacking dots all over the body and big eyes - very cute, could not take pix - they still blend in too much and the parents herded them away from my side as soon as i got close to observe, hope a couple survive
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: krib

Congratulations! I love Kribs. I have a pair (I think).
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Congrats..no the feeling..had a pair myself for a year and she was a breeder true and true....cant count how many batch of fry's she had.

They are very vigilant parents. Watch the mom signal her fry with controlled shakes as she herds them from place to place. Feel sorry for the tetras.... they will not have much of a life for a while.

Comment

yes, the parents are belligerent to say the least, but the fry are so cute, the colors on the parents are amazing too :)

jkln - did any of your fry survive to adult/juvie?  what happened to your pair?

live and let live

Comment

They all survived... I kept them in a 29 gal by themselves. I would bring them to auctions. I sold the pair at the last HAS auction.

Comment

awesome, hope some of mine survive too

live and let live

Comment

I saved 3 juvies from my last colony but they all turned out to be females, so I bought the pr at the HAS auction and also 2 bags of fry.  
              I should have a strong colony soon and be interested in trading some.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hey thats great to hear PhishPhreek,

Take care of them...they were prolific at creating males in my tank.

Comment

i think there are no more fry in the tank, at least i don't see any and the parents are not as aggressive to other fish - so that is another clue, i don't know what happened  :(   i can't imagine the other fish eating them because the parents were very protective, i am thinking they actually ate their own fry  :?

live and let live

Comment

With Bettas, its good to remove the parents when the fry are free swimming.
                    Trying to keep 200 kids in one place will drive you nuts !  :hang:
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

did you turn the lights off at night? Tetras will act like a pack and some will occupy parents and they won't notice others moving behind with lights off.

Comment

awwwwwwwww :( , I like kribs, and I like babies, so it guess I like baby kribs    :P
                        Anyway, while typing something sad it turned into a funny. Sorry. :(
                        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

yes i did turn off the lights, didn't know tetras acted that way 8O

live and let live

Comment

With lights on parents will see other fish and run them off before the predator(s) gets close. With lights off they cant see who is around...especially if there are rocks, plants and other objects a predator can use as cover to get close. They are operating in a confined space with aquarium objects so the parents are at a disadvantage with lights off.

Comment

But don't be surprised if one day you see a small juvi or so moving around. They can be cagey and hide in driftwood, the substrate and whatever and survive. Most will eventually get picked off but nonetheless, you may be surprised one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X