i can't find a filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i can't find a filter

I'm not interested in buying the 42 (if you still have it) but I'm wondering what type of filter you have on it...I have the same tank and it is a pain in the neck....no filters that I can find (HOBs) fit too great and the ones I find that do fit are not filter enough to hang with the bio-load.

My 42 has always given me major issues :(  water is never as clear as I would like and I had the whole thing crash on me about 4 months ago....all the numbers bottomed out and the people on my other fish forum (hadn't found this one yet) said it was a thing called creep, caused by dissolved oraganic compounds.  The only thing I could do was take a deep breath and start over. UGH!!

Did you guys ever have any issues with yours or am I just a freak?? I ask cause your the only other person I have met (sorta :) ) with this particular tank.

Thanks oodles!

Re: 42 gallon hex tank for sale

Lucy you can add a sponge filter to help out with the bio load. Just make sure you clean it out weekly.
    I had a hex before & that is what I did. Get the biggest one you can find or use 2 smaller ones.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

They have the HOT Magnums on amazon.com that are like $50 and would fit and work well on it.

Comment

I have a 42 hex, and I put my small Eheim Ecco on it, and removed the filter from a 20-40 HOB and put polyfiber from WalMart (5 lbs for $8.00) in it; tank has stayed crystal clear and no fish die or look the least bit unhappy!
        The aeriation is great with the HOB, and the Ehein Ecco cannister is a serious filter for a 42 with the help of the HOB.
        I use the tank for 2nd stage fry growth (bigger than newborns, but smaller than juveniles; always around 200 or so as well as 3 Corys and 2 big Common Brown Plecos); try a cannister filter, they are not a lot online.
        I got a Cascade 700 (rated for 65 gallons) for aroung $60 with shipping on Ken's Fish; works great on my 55, with a helpful HOB 20-40 stuffed with polyfiber. Also a fish-full tank, always crystal clear water.
        Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Lucy....i have an emperor 280 and a powerhead 250...i also have a sponge air filter on there...it keeps it very very clean for me and the fishies.....

Comment

Working...
          X