Setup new tank with established filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup new tank with established filter

I just set up a new 20G tank using filters I have had running on established tanks.
    I used sand substrate and tap water treated with Kent Detox.
    I moved a Emperor  280 & a sponge  filter from an established 72G.
    Since the water was cloudy, I also moved a Magnum 350 from an established 110G for a while to clear the water, which it did after ~4 hrs.

Today is the 2nd day, NH3 is ~.1-.25, nitrite ~1.

This happened to me before on another tank and it took a week or so to get 0 NH3 and Nitrite.

My question is should I have 0 measurements right away since I used ample established filters?

Re: Setup new tank with established filter

Not if the water was recently de-chlorinated.

The new sand and the new water is what is giving you those reading also those HOB filters are on the weak side when it comes to beneficial bacteria. What has happened is that you have a jump start on your nitrogen cycle....normally you would have 0's for readings across the board which you would need to get going. Now instead of waiting for it to start you are about halfway through it.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

According to you,  what I read about established filters allowing me to have fish right away in new tank is incorrect? I still have to wait a few days?

Another question, I want to keep gold fish and I understand you want to over filter, yet gold fish do not like strong current. Can I turn off the Emperor 280 or the air pump to the sponge filter alternately to keep the current down? Will the bacteria die off if the sponge and filter materials stay submerged? Do the bacteria on the sponge filter keep working without the air pump?

Comment

I'm not an expert...but I don't think the Emperor 280 is considered a filter that gives off a "stong current".
        I have a eheim canister on mine...the golsfish just kind of stay away from it.  
        Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
        Alexa Rae
        Co-President of CAK
        MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

You missed the part where I stated HOB filters are weak in the beneficial bacteria department.

You can leave them both one...that is not that much flow for healthy goldfish and you would need to keep up with maintenance/water changes which is what you need to focus on.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Safer than sorry.....it's not going to hurt by waiting two weeks to get the nitrogen cycle completed.  And HOB complete suck in the BB department!

To help things out you can take some rocks or sand from the old tank and put that in the new tank. Hope this helps. Good luck.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
            X