Hard water stain removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard water stain removal

What is the best product for hard water stain removal?

Old, crusty, thick stains on the glass of the hood.  I want better light penetration and I think clearing up that glass will helpa little.

Re: Hard water stain removal

I would like someone to shed some light on this issue too, I have the same issue with my tank that's been sitting outside in the sun.
    68G: Cichlid Community tank soon to be moving in a 125G.

Equipment: Fluval FX5; AquaClear 7; Powerhead 350.

Comment

Well, we have covered that once or twice before....the top choices would be....vinegar or a razor blade....some say bleach, but whatever you choose, be careful with the blade, and be sure to rinse well after using bleach....

Good Luck

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

If the tank is empty, a light acid like vinegar or diluted muriatic acid work well. Scraping with a razor while the acid is on the scale will remove it cleanly. Like CF says, rinse well.

If you try to remove the stains while the fish are in it, use just the blade and more elbow grease.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Diluted muriatic acid!

This was brought to light by a good friend, Navarro and it works!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ek, what ratio would you use.....50/50 or less...? MA is pretty strong stuff, maybe like 60% water, and 40 MA ...and go from there?

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Another tip too.....I remember having good success with this approach.....soak a sponge or small hand tool in your vinegar solution and apply it to the worst area of water stains.....let it sit right on top of the affected area for a while (10 minutes or longer) and it will soften up the difficult spots.....

CF

Comment

Get the pickling vinegar it is better than regular vinegar.

As for Muriatic Acid it is actually Hydrochloric Acid and you need to be careful with the stuff.

Here is some directions I found.  It says to start with 1 part acid to 20 part water as a starting point. Then add acid until it starts to bubble whatever substance your trying to clean off.  Some other places I seen, said to start in a 1 to 5 ratio, but its up to you.  Make sure your got good ventillation

380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                  Another tip too.....I remember having good success with this approach.....soak a sponge or small hand tool in your vinegar solution and apply it to the worst area of water stains.....let it sit right on top of the affected area for a while (10 minutes or longer) and it will soften up the difficult spots.....

CF
                  I do something similar to CF.  I lay paper towels on the tank tops and then pour the vinegar on.  The paper towels soak up the vinegar and I just walk away for a few minutes.  When I come back and remove the paper towels, all that gunk has been softened so that it just comes right off.
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

if its inside the tank or near the water use vinegar cuz if some accidentally goes in the tank it will only raise the ph slightly by muratic acid would prob kill some fish and the paper towel idea is awesome
                    altums 90 gallon
                    fahaka puffer 68
                    community 60 cube

can't find it make it
                    can find it make it better

Comment

I wouldn't use any acids if the tank has fish in it. And acids will lower ph, not raise it.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I used a blade the other day, if you're careful...it works really well.
                        Just don't sneeze.  8O
                        Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                        Alexa Rae
                        Co-President of CAK
                        MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

I just replaced the glass.....saves all that time missing with it.

However, I have also tried to remove the hard water stains and this is what I did....

Lime scale on glassware can be soaked away using a solution of equal parts vinegar and water. Glass should only require 15 minutes to an hour of soaking (Try heating up the solution on the stove if your glass isn’t coming clean).
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I still prefer "KABOOM"
                            it contains "organic acids & surfactant" and it works without a lot of effort on my part.  
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

This muriatic acid won't discolor my over flowbox will it. And no harm to silicone?

Comment

Working...
                              X