Cloudy Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy Water

Hi All.  I developed a problem over the weekend with my 60 gallon tank.   All of a sudden the water became cloudy.  I checked the Nitrite level and the Amonia level and both are at 0.   Here is my setup:   60 gallon with an AquaClear 70 HOB.   I have 6 Discus, 8 Dwarf Chichlids, 5 Cat-O, 1 molly, 14 Cardinal Tetras and 3 Emerald Catfish.   I do a 50% water change 3x a week in the tank for the Discus.   The only thing that has changed is that I added the Cat-o's and the tetras on Friday.  I also did a water change on Friday afternoon and yesterday evening.  

Any ideas??  

Thanks everyone.
    My tanks:
    30 gal - African Cichlids Tank
    60 gal - Discus Tank
    30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Re: Cloudy Water

How long has this tank been up and running?
    50 % water changes are great, but how do you treat the water every time you change it?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

CF,
      I have had the tank running approx a few months.   Before adding the fish, I talked with Dan over at Aquarium Warehouse and got one of the bacteria packets from him to cycle the tank.   I've hadn't had any problems with cloudy water until this weekend.  :(
      For my water changes, I have a 32 gallon barrel in the garage with a pump (thanks again to Dan) which I fill up and add the dechlorinator to it.  I usually fill it up and add  after I do the water change so that the chemical has time to do its thing.
      My tanks:
      60 gal - Discus Tank
      30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

It could be an algae bloom, if not a bacteria bloom.  Either way, it's an excess of nutrients being introduced into the aquarium water.  This could be too much food, too much fish waste, or even Nitrates and Phosphates from your tap water.  Whatever the cause, you'll want to keep up the partial water changes, and maybe reduce the amount you are feeding until it works itself out.  And keep an eye on your fish because the oxygen available to the fish is going to be lower during this time.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Imagirlgeek has covered it better than I could have, I have heard others mention, cutting back on the time you use your lights to combat this issue.  

Good Luck

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thanks.   I did check the levels yesterday afternoon prior to the water change and it was fine.   I will also cut back on the amount of food given (just hope that the Discus don't attack the tetras).   Should I look at adding an airpump to the tank?
            My tanks:
            60 gal - Discus Tank
            30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

I know that just about every LFS have Air Sponges in their tanks or Power Heads for their main filtration, and I believe it's a good idea to use one in any tank. I use them in all my tanks along with Eheim's Canister filters and my Emperor HOB's.  I have an air pump on every one of my tanks at home and here at the office.

CF

Comment

Hmmm....would you recommend an Air Sponge or a Power Head then?    And thanks for all the help and advice!  I love this forum!
                My tanks:
                60 gal - Discus Tank
                30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

i dont know when you added the bacteria pack but cycle which is also concentrated bacteria says on the back that it will cause cloudy water.  if you added it recently then this could be your cause.
                  I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Comment

Thanks everyone.  I ended up running out last night to get an air pump because I was noticing that the fish were kind of breathing heavy.  they seem to be a lot better this morning.  Water is still cloudy.  Plan on doing another water change tonight after I get home from work.
                    My tanks:
                    60 gal - Discus Tank
                    30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

Try a sponge filter for now, see if that doesn't clear up your tank overnight.....

CF

Comment

Much Thanks CF.  I will attempt to get by Aquarium Warehouse today to get one.
                        My tanks:
                        60 gal - Discus Tank
                        30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

Just wanted to give everyone an update.   I added the sponge filter, did a 60% water change, the tank is now crystal clear!  Thanks everyone for the help & info.
                          My tanks:
                          60 gal - Discus Tank
                          30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

Way cool....

Dont clean the sponge filter with tap water....as a matter of fact, I wouldn't clean it at all for the next six months. If you don't overfeed your fish, it will take months before you need to clean it.  Then when you do, use water from your tank or another chlorine/choramine free water source.  

CF

Comment

Will do CF.   And thanks again for all of the great advice.  
                              It's really nice to beable to see my Discus again.  
                              My tanks:
                              60 gal - Discus Tank
                              30 gal Hex - Not in Use

Comment

Working...
                              X