help my water does have a green tint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help my water does have a green tint?

I finally got my water parameters in check and now the water has a green tint to it.  i just did a 50% water change yesterday and used amquel+ as the dechlorinator.  untill i get my pump for my wet/dry i have a whisper 40-60 on it and a fluval 105.  what do i need to do?  thanks
    I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Re: help my water does have a green tint?

Ammonia will contribute to green water blooms. Since you've got your params stable it probably isn't that. A blackout with lots of water changes will usually work. I've read that a UV filter will work but I've never tried that route.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

when i checked it this morning there was 0 ppm of ammonia.  i guess lights out it is!  how often can i safely change the water?

Comment

When I have algae blooms I use the following and not had any problems.

Perform 50% waterchange, keep the lights down to a minimal use, and add this pad to your filter/s.

The premium domain name aquatichouse.com is for sale. Make an offer or buy it now at a set price. Simple, safe and secure through

You can get it at just about any petstore, or online.

I believe where it works is in the removal of phosphates, and diatoms. It also says it controls ammonia, so who knows...but I have had in the past blooms even in a fully-cycled aquarium.

The premium domain name aquatichouse.com is for sale. Make an offer or buy it now at a set price. Simple, safe and secure through

The POLY-FILTER is for filtering and purifying both fresh and salt water aquariums. It is a formulation of a special patented material bonded to a synthetic matrix. By means of a unique proprietary process, the POLY-FILTER is made impervious to salt and is also organic loving to certain materials. It can absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials found in nature or added to fresh and salt water with or without fish and invertebrates. Medication added to fresh and salt water aquariums for treatment of diseased fish will automatically be removed by the POLY-FILTER after serving their intended purpose before the medication can produce a toxic effect on the fish.

The POLY-FILTER is non-toxic and harmless to biological filtration because it allows a sufficient amount of ammonia to reach the biological filter in order to sustain the bacteria culture. The POLY-FILTER provides a supplemental means for removal of ammonia when the biological filter is unable to break down the excess ammonia and its concentration increases rapidly. Then the POLY-FILTER adsorbs the excess ammonia while the biological filter re-adjusts to higher ammonia input levels.

BECAUSE OF THIS UNIQUE FILTERING CHARACTERISTIC, THE POLY-FILTER ELIMINATES THE NEED AND EXPENSE OF CARBON OR ION EXCHANGE RESINS AND PROTEIN SKIMMERS.

Best of Luck!

Geoff
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

thanks very much.  i have read online that covering the tank with a dark cloth for 2-3 days not letting in any light will help it also.

Comment

Originally posted by jetchanic";p="
            when i checked it this morning there was 0 ppm of ammonia.  i guess lights out it is!  how often can i safely change the water?
            You can change 50% or more daily or several times a day if needed. The more you change water the closer your tank water is in hardness and ph to the source water. I've done 90% water changes with no ill effects to the inhabitants. If you do a blackout, the algae begins to die. As it does, it will decay and begin to pollute your tank. Frequent large water changes will help your biological filter keep up with the added load and keep from causing a mini-cycle and stressing your fish.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

i will keep it dark for a couple of days.  i will do a 50% water change daily and see how that works out.  im gonna try to not put any extra chemicals in the tank.

Comment

Working...
              X