automatic water changer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatic water changer!!

this might become entertainment for the rest of you guys (because of my naieve/stupid notion), but is there really such a thing as automatic water changer?  what i mean by that is some device that is always attached to the tank or some outlet from the tank and can take tank water out at a predetermined rate and replace it with tap water or some other water source directly into the tank or a inflow into the tank, please say the answer is yes :)
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: automatic water changer!!

Yes.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

AWESOME, i can be more lazy      

where do purchase such a thing?  my quick search on google did not yield anything!

live and let live

Comment

You don't....
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

EK, your terrible, stop teasing folks like that...... :)

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

- just as i thought

live and let live

Comment

Such a thing does exist, however it is not something that you just go out and buy. I think you are essentially describing a drip system. Google that and see if that is what you are thinking of.
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

No finfan, there probably is such a device out there, but I believe EK is telling you not to buy it, probably due to the outrageous cost VS the practical use or application of it.....How does that old saying go, "if you want something done right, do it yourself"

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

this is actually not something i am looking for now, i know i want to set up a 250gallon+ discus tank in the next few years (when i am in a house) and just thought it would be nice to have something like this, i will do more research when it is really time, but wanted to just find out/curiosity, i do have some ideas about making one using some timers and motors and a water holding tank!

live and let live

Comment

I have spent 30 years in the automation & control systems industry, some of it in the food & drink Industry and I can assure you that instruments to measure pH, hardness, temp, flow rate and tank level do exist.  Most of them are in the $600 to $900 range.   You will also need valves, logic control and more than likely some engineering time @ $65 to $120 an hour.  And if you don’t already have an available source, you will need a water supply & drain.  So, for somewhere in the 5K range I can design/build a system that will do that for you.  

The cheap & easy way to do it would be to install a small carbon filter on your water supply and discharge it to the tank with a tank overflow going to the drain.  That you can do for <$100 if you already have a water line & drain close to the tank.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

PP nailed it on the head!

I would go with a timed water fill system utilizing a carbon filter or through using a water holding container....this way you have more control over what goes into the tank. Then drill the tank to have an overflow set at a certain level below the top of the tank so that when said level is reached it will just drain out.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

A 1gph drip emitter gives you 24 gallons a day, 168 gallons a week, about a 65% weekly water change in a 240g tank.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You have to keep in mind that with that.......you are taking out a bit of the new with the old.

So day one you have 10%
                          Day two.....9%
                          etc....

Also the nitrogen cycle nor the fish are put on pause while you are doing the drip method so they are constantly producing waste as well while you are doing the 10% per day.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, if you don't think 168 gallons a week is enough you can get a 2gpm emmitter or an adjustable one that goes up to 5gpm.  

Comment

That's what I would do!!!!

I am doing 70% 2x weekly on my 125/135g tanks and that is barely enough to keep me at/below 20ppms of Nitrates before each water change. If I had a 240g I would probably have close to 3x as many fish so the water change would have to be adjusted for the bigger tank size.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X