harlequin rasbora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harlequin rasbora

i put in 10 of these in my tank yesterday (about 2 weeks after a major rescape) and today they were spawning i think. a really fat one would turn upside down and rub its belly on the under side of my amazon sword, sometimes a smaller one would come and do the same thing right next to it. is the fat one pregnant and layin eggs? i looked under the leaf for eggs but didn't see any? are my fry gonna get eaten if the fish are indeed spawning? i have 10 harlequins, 15 rcs and 3 amanos in the tank. thanks

Re: harlequin rasbora

I have no clue, but it sounds like they are either spawning or trying too....

Good Luck ...

I love those little boogers

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Congrats
      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Finfan had some that were spawning with some great pictures. You should check it out and see if the behavior was the same. Here is the link:
        HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

It might give you an idea of what to look for. Good luck with your spawn.
        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Originally posted by edmlfc";p="
          Finfan had some that were spawning with some great pictures. You should check it out and see if the behavior was the same. Here is the link:
          HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

It might give you an idea of what to look for. Good luck with your spawn.
          ya i saw that thread just the other day and thats why i thought they were spawning! the only thing is i cant find any eggs :?

Comment

I have no personal experience with rasboras, but did run across this on www.aquahobby.com.

"I have had an excellent experience with this fish. They are very hardy and in my opinion can adapt to a wide range of conditions. I have mine in a pH of 7.4 and they breed for me every morning in the rays of sunlight that fall on the tank before the lights turn on. The fish have almost doubled in size in the month or so that I have had them. While breeding the males get pretty agitated and enjoy having space to swim up and down beside each other in their little squabbles. Make sure that you have at least two females to every male, or the males will never stop fighting. These fish like to lay their eggs on the undersides of broad leaved plants. I use amazon swords, anubias, and java fern. These fish will devour their own eggs with relish, so make sure you keep an eye on them while they're spawning. I actually have one fat female that just follows around the breeding pairs sucking up the eggs like a little vaccuum. When I eventually decide to raise the fry I will have to remove her from the tank. "
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

just saw this post, arm, what you found makes sense, i have been observing their behavior for a week now and it seems like at anytime couple of them lay eggs and there are 4 or 5 of them behind eating them!  not to mention other tank mates

jack, if you want to actually get fry, you will most likely have to isolate the plant immediately after spawning, unless you have a huge tank with a lot of dense vegetation that would allow some to naturally be spared!  but it is very fun to watch either way
              65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
              55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
              30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

thanks for the info arm and finfan

and no my tank is only a 20g with medium ish density of plants, not enough to hide eggs from the other fish though :( i was kinda hoping to get some fry

Comment

Working...
                X