carbon grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon grade

I would like other hobbyist opinion on carbon quality. Are there any differences in regular grade, premium grade, and commercial grade? Is this just a marketing tool from manufactures to make buyers think they have a best quality?

Re: carbon grade

Don't forget activated and non-activated...
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

I was pretty much under the impression that carbon was carbon.  Some is a little dustier than others when filling media bags and whatnot but other than that I have seen no real differences.

Comment

We talking Charcoal?
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

I was assuming that we were talking about the stuff you run in your canister filters and whatnot....am I way off base here???

Comment

yes, my question is the carbon we put in the canister...I also thought carbon is carbon like Hanson stated.

Comment

Some just makes your hands dirtier for longer when rinsing from what I have seen....LOL!!!  I'm no expert though....LOL!!!!

Comment

I have heard that carbon is only effective in one dose or application, meaning that once a body of water has passed over it, the water is then "cleansed" and the carbon is then rendered ineffective on each addtional pass by that body of water.

I don't know how much of that comment is fact, but it does sound possible.

To me, carbon and charcoal are the same thing...???

I like to use those chem pure packs.....instead of regular charcoal.

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Megan's sells non-activated charcoal/carbon.  Not sure of the difference, but it sounds like Rice krispies cereal when water runs through it.
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

I was under the impression that it had some sort of lifespan of effectiveness.  How much is the chem pure vs. regular carbon CF??

Comment

As you pointed out, I too, am no expert, but it is my understanding that the chem pure pacs are a two punch media componet, using charcoal and another natural compound that increases the effectiness or the overall filtration process.

I change my Eheim's Chem Pure Pac once a quarter, or 4 times a year.

I don't use much charcoal anymore, I have switched to ammocarb from Petsmart in the milk carton package. It's a mix of carbon and ammomia remover chips....

CF
                      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I use Chempure and MArineland Black Diamond.

It is all about pore size.

I personally really like Chempure, and I can see a difference and smell versus no carbon.

Carbon in my experience should be changed everymonth, Chempure is a carbon and resin mixture that says to be changed every 3 months.

Chempure is a lot more expensive than Black Diamond.

I am switching the Black Diamond to pelletized carbon in bulk from Jehmco.  It is supposed to last longer and have more surface area than small fine carbon.

Geoff
                        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

THere is a difference in grades.....read a break down of it on one of the Reef forums but can't remember exactly what it was.....I don't use carbon so I didn't really care for the article.

Try googling through Reefkeeping articles.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thor, I don't use carbon either. IMO, a healthy aquarium doesn't need it. However, if you're interested, here's a good explanation about carbon usage in filtration:

Mark
                            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Now see, why can't we (GHAC) get this guy (Leo G. Morin, Ph.D.) to one of our meetings and go over all this for us? It's so hard for me to comprehend and asimulate all those formulas and tech talk....I need to go take after trying to read all that.... :)

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X