Burundi Farms - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burundi Farms - Discussion

I would consider them "pond raised" coming from Burund farms.

If you get some do post pictures!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: Tropheus moorii Golden Kazumba

Nothing wrong with "pond raised" in my book.  A lot of importer are calling their shipments WC when it's really pond raised.  You know how it is.....everyone is just trying to make a buck.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Of course there is nothing wrong with pondraised......that is if they are sold as so and priced to reflect that.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Let me define what Burundi do...

Tropheus in the NorthEast Region of the lake have been over fish. Take the Duboisi for instance...No one will export this as wild caught for awhile. So the main collector created ponds near the lake to raise, breed and sale tropheus. This way the lake regenerate itself and the exports save on gas and other cost since the ponds are easy for them to catch.

Now the ponds are feed water directly from the lake which in a sense provide them the same water as wild caughts...

Plus...since this practice have begun..Tropheus have become much stronger or more bullet proof!

Comment

True the waters are the same but IMO the gene diversity is not.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, the gene diversity is not that great in the wild since these fish swim in schools. And majority of the tropheus are located in specific regions of the lake!

Comment

Of course but have you seen videos/pictures of said "schools"? The ones I have seen were in the thousands!

Then there is the natural selection, predation, mother nature, etc.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah...I have seen the videos.

But Fish are not like humans they will breed with thier on sibilings.

Comment

In the wild your going to have hundred of females entering and exiting hundreds of males territories.

In the pond and even worse in Aquaria, your goign to have certain males dominating and defending patches or even smaller patches of territory.

Your going to have some females who will enter these territories to breed and hold, while others will stay in the massed huddle.

In the pond they have 200 to 500 adults, in your aquaria maybe 40 if you got a huge colony.

In the ponds they have fresh water from the lake, but they do not get the food from the lake or the genetic diversity.  They get feed whatever pellet food, they are feeding.

They have no idea who is breeding with who, and some they keep to grow out to replace stock that dies or fails to continue breeding.

Then from time to time, they cull out excess males and put them into market.  This is why you see things like Large Males only etc...

Dont get me wrong entirely, I think Burundi Pondraised is a lot better than Florida or California Pondraised, but they are what they are.

Geoff
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Now lets define what Burundi does...

They also selective breed to create new Tropheus.  They have created the Golden Kiriza, Golden Bemba, and the got regular Kiriza so screwed up in color that instead of being mostly yellow, they are starting to get mostly red/orange because of their so called "breeding program" and the culls from the "Golden Kiriza" inbreeding program.

They also inbreed the Albino Kipili as well.

They also have created those Tropheus Firefox, and tigers.

Guess where their culls end up?????

Yeap in the market, and the inbreed color is all screwed up.

Burundi Farms is not all the time as good as wildcaught, because they are a business also.  Especially since the family took over from the father.  Lots of weird stuff in the market now.

I would stay away from Burundi Farms on certain fish.

Comment

Honestly,

Is everything that brought from Africa really wild caught by our standards?

I dont think so.

1.Gas is expensive as heck over there. There is not a cheveron located on every corner.
                      2. When a pricelist come in 99% of the time the fish are in some stocking pond and they need to be pulled out (thus the time it take to collect and ship is greatly depending on what is caught in the pond).
                      3. It really dont matter...just as long as I'm able to get something I cannot get here!

Comment

I am just saying that Burundi Farms is not got Mother Nature in mind first.  They did when Pierre was in charge, I mean he is the guy who namned Brichardi Tropheus, now the family is in charge, and things are not in the "science" view of things.

It is now a "Business" operation.

They cannot collect fish in the Northwest side, so what they got in their ponds from the northwest side, is pretty much inbreed.

Northeast side, they can colllect but there is not so much there, they might go as far south as Kigoma but to go farther than that, is most unlikely.

Comment

Which farm is nature minded? It's all about supplying a demand!

Comment

They used to be more nature minded when a published scientist ran the place, now its reflects a business attitude verse discovery.

Comment

Man give me the info you talked about yesterday

Discovery?  How long have they been harvesting the lake? 30 plus years? If there is a new discovery then it will be publish. Too many resoruces on the web for a new discovery to go unnotice

Now, I do think (based on some info that I witness) that any new discovery is part of cross breeding!

Comment

Working...
                              X