Cooling Fans for Nanocube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Fans for Nanocube

Okay. Well, long story short, in essence the circuit board for the fans on my 6g nanocube is broken. The LEDs are also connected to this, and maybe other things as well. Hmm, maybe it would help to try to explain that the circuit board itself is not broken, but the connection for the cooling fans (which was always a bit iffy and needed daily "banging" to work) is no longer of this earth. So, I can still plug in the LEDs to the board, but that doesn't matter, because apparently everything is connected and without this one connector wire from the fans to the board, nothing works.

How on earth am I supposed to know enough about this stuff to replace it??

I apologize in advance that I don't know anything about this stuff, and that I'm probably using the wrong words. But, how do I fix this problem? Having no fans is not an option - this 6g has 3x18W PCs enclosed in its hood, and it gets kinda hot in there.

Do I need to buy 2 new fans? Places (apparently) sell 50mm cooling fans with the 3-pin connector, which is what I need, I'm guessing. But what else? What am I supposed to connect the 3-pin connector TO? Or, maybe I don't have to buy replacement fans, because I'm sure they still work? I have also seen for sale something like this:

This website is for sale! nanotuners.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nanotuners.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Would that be sufficient to connect to the fans, connect to an AC adapter (which I would also buy), plug it in the wall, and have the fans work? Or would I have to buy something like this?

This website is for sale! nanotuners.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nanotuners.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I don't care if the option that can solve my problem will mean that I can't have moonlights. I just want the darn fans to work!

Thanks for any and all help.  8)  And PLEASE, help me.  
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Cooling Fans for Nanocube

You can easily re-wire the fans to an independent power supply, when I ran my NC12g I had 3 fans which were all independent since each had a specific job. It's rather simple really.

I also have a bag of fans which are 60mm but you could probably make them fit if you need them.

So what you are saying is that the connector that is soldered in place on the circuit board is loose and no longer making contact with the circuit board itself? Or is it the connection between the two connectors? If you are having a connection problem it's a really simple fix as well since the soldered pins could have worked itself loose. If you need me to help you just give me a holler.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ok, here is what I am talking about.....

Did it break at the blue or red arrow?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Wow. Thanks!

Well, it sorta broke at both arrows. It actually came off the board, it was loose when I bought it. So, when that happened, one of the pins actually broke, so part of a pin is still in the circuit board. Meaning that one of the 3 pins in the actual "connector" (white piece) is shorter, as well.

I figured, "huh, okay, easy enough. I'll just take the board from this spare 6g canopy I have, even though it won't run these particular fans, it will have an extra connector..." Well, that one was soldered on there REALLY well. So, I have a plastic connector and a board with 3 bare pins coming out of it...

So, you're saying it is possible to run the fans with just an AC adapter and some sort of connector from the fans to the AC adapter? I guess it's just a bit daunting for me because I know nothing about wiring, and there's a whole slew of wires going into one huge wire (tube, more like it) and then to who knows where and then to a big silver ballast. But, if so, then I could just get a connector like I linked above (or that Y adapter mentioned) and an AC adapter and be set?

Comment

You can get them from Fry's....both the Y-connector and AC adapter. What you are gonna want to do is take apart the ballast assy. and disconnect the fan/moonlight wires.

With the fan connectors you can either rewire the ac adapter with a connector that will work for the fans of just snip them all and hard wire them together.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            What you are gonna want to do is take apart the ballast assy. and disconnect the fan/moonlight wires.
            Uh-oh. I see myself failing miserably in that.

Comment

If you want I can help you out with it......I am pretty much free at work or you can bring it to the next meeting which I am almost positive I will be making it out to.

Is this tank planted or reef?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Planted. Well, trying to be. Problem after problem after problem.

That would be awesome if you could help! The meeting would be great, but if you can't make it, let me know. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                X