Spots on my Ilangi tropheus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spots on my Ilangi tropheus?

We bought some Ilangi Tropheus a while back and we noticed they had some spots. They don't seem to be going away is this normal? I have spoken to a couple of people about them some say they will go away as they get older and some say they are genetic and will not go away. I just want to get some opinions to see what I needed to do either keep them or get rid of them.
    Heather

Re: Spots on my Ilangi tropheus?

It goes both ways....Some lessen while some stay the same.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get those from?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

No not at  all we bought them from Aqua bid. I am just wondering if I should keep them.
      Heather

Comment

Well I had some that had black spots and most have faded away or the most part...........but then again mine were really vibrant looking when I first got them and they are wilds.

I have seen some that had the blotching that never went away or just stood out a lot more when they got older....but that might not be your case.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They have nice coloration on them I was just worried about the spots. They are "suppose" to be F1's The reason I was aking is that I don't want them breeding if they are not  the quality they are suppose to be. So it is somewhat normal for them to have spots?
          Heather

Comment

Just about any tropheus from what I have observed can get it or have it.

As for it breeding out....I have seen very little get transfered to fry/young.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for the info.  Most of the ones had either a few or several splotches on them.  The larger ones had some real nice color on them but still had the spots.  None of them have cleared yet but we will give them more time to mature and see how they turn out.  I don't remember who we got them from but it was someone on Aquabid several months ago. I hope the spots end up fading.
              Heather

Comment

What are you feeding them now and hows your maintenance routine?

Doubt is has much effect on anything but who knows and I guess every little counts!
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The black spots on Tropheus have been theorized to have come from three different sources.

1.  Wild fish eating bird feces while they are in the holding tanks and or ponds.  This is from the birds eating a higher protein foliage lakeside than the trophs have ever been exposed to before.

2.  Skin irritations caused by high ammonia during the shipment which stressed them out.  Some say its ammonnia burns, but I think it is more like a rash or irritation that is caused by the stress of shipment dirty water etc..

3.  The fish are typically 9 ft to 45 ft below the surface.  When the fish are brought to the surface and exposed to direct sunlight it causes their melanin to change and more defects appear in their colorization.

Being that your fish are F-1, I would have to say that the most likely "rumored" cause would be No.2

What I have seen best clear up the spots is CLEAN CLEAN water, and proper diet.

I would perform 2X a week 50% waterchange, and keep feeding the food they are eating now, and then switch over to either a spirulina flake based food or pellet food such as New Life Spectrum, Hikari Excel, or Dainichi Veggie FX or Deluxe.

Ek, is right, the best I've ever seen them get cleared up is with waterchanges, and diet.

How long have you had the fish, and what lighting are the under?
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

It has been atleast 6 months that we have had them(forgive my memory it has probably been longer than that).  They are eating Dainichi Veggie FX and some spirulina flake occasionally.  Water changes admittedly were not often enough but now we are back on top of that.  Light I am not sure about.  Juan would have to tell you.  He knows more about that stuff.  I will try bumping up the water changes and make sure we feed them good and see how that goes.  Thanks for the info guys, it is really helping me make a decision on what to do with them.  Can I feed them any other sources of green veggies like zucchini and things like that?  Would that help?

Heather
                    Heather

Comment

Hi, Heather

I had forgotten that you and Juan had these fish.  Yes you can feed "parched" Zucchini you'll need to have it tied down somehow or it will float around.

What size of tank do you guys have them in and what filtration?

Also, just a point, what I have seen other people do with Ilangi is to use a "light colored" gravel and light colored background.  It somehow gets them to want to show more color better.

You guys might consider that in the future, your picutre looks like they are on a black gravel, which is not so good for them color wise, not anything to do with their health, just the color they show you.

Hope this helped.

Geoff
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I agree with Geoff.....Lighter colored surroundings as well and the right lighting kelvin will make the Ilangi's glow, this could be true to just about any fish like so though.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks again for the info and forgive my stupidity but what do you mean when you say "parched"?  I assume you have to peel it but wasn't sure what you meant by "parched".  Any other fresh veggies that they can graze on?

Heather
                          Heather

Comment

Boil some water and dip the veggie into the water for a a few seconds/a minute.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm thinking of Gaby Hayes in a old John Wayne movie.....walking up a dusty trail, telling the Duke how thirsty he is and how dried out he feels....  :)

I have no idea what Geoff's actual meaning was however....but my guess would  be to let the portion air out some before feeding....???

We'll see....

CF
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X