Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand question

I found these plans and dimensions on plantedtank.net

Does anyone think that if I used 1''X4"" instead of 2''X4'' and had a 50 gallon aquarium instead of a 75 gallon aquarium, the stand would be effective?

Re: Stand question

I wouldn't skimp on the lumber holding that much weight.  You also have to take into account the weight of the sand and rocks that you decide to use.

Comment

Actually you can use 3/4 cabinet grade plywood and do a solid box with doors if you want something pretty.
      I am a custom cabinet maker and have made quite a few custom setups over the years.  Most of them were built like that. Occasionally on 6' or longer I will use 2x4 on end inside to distribute the weight better.
      I don't think I would use a 1x4 for anything as even a 50g water weight comes in at around 420lbs. Factor tank weight with substrate and decor you can easily push 600.  It would be a real ***** if you had it all set up and a bump or a shove made the entire thing go sideways.......

:aua:  :aua:  :aua:
      My "adiction" consists of:
      150G show tank, 110g Mbuna "rock city",
      2-75G mixed, 3-30G fry/growout/quarantine tanks.

Comment

And 2x4's are cheaper than 1x4's  
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
        X