Dried Indian Almond Leaf for CRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried Indian Almond Leaf for CRS

I heard that it is a must for a CRS breeding tank. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    BTW, for some CRS breeders here, do you use it or have any success with Indian Almond leaf?
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: Dried Indian Almond Leaf for CRS

I have a bag full of them. got them off ebay and never really use. You can have them if you want.
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Comment

I've tried using it, but i have not seen any significant difference in breeding or color or anything.
      However it seems like the CRS like to just graze on the surface of it.

Apparently, dried oak leaves will also do the same thing. Plus it's much easier to find around here.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Depending on your landscaping, you may want to use dried banana tree leaves or peat.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

My young CRS was berried shortly after the first time I put an almond leaf in their tank, but that doesn't necessarily mean the two are connected. In actuality, the snails seem to like them more than the shrimp. But I've heard that they act a lot like driftwood, in softening the water a bit.

Seems like h0nkzz can offer you some, but you can also check out betta breeding sites - they use these leaves as well.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Picked up some of the almond leaves at the Betta Habari auction.  Used a half leaf in setting up a shoe box for the bettas to breed in.  Worked like a charm for the bettas.  I had betta fry within 3 days.  Not sure how well the leaves work with CRS.

Comment

Honk  If noone jumps for the leaves and you bring them to the HLA meeting this Saturday, we can auction them off for you.  
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Mzungu and CRS breeders, how did you use the leaf? Did you just drop and forget it. One of the most important functions is to lower the pH via leaking tannin into the water. Also, some site said it releases hormones to stimulate breeding. However, I just want to make sure you just soak it overnight and leave it there. Also, do you have to watch for pH in case it drop to fatal level?
                100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
                30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

One leaf in a 10g tank will cause the pH to drop daily for about 3 days ~ after that it holds steady.
                  I have never used more than one.

Comment

I add them weekly to my discus and apisto 135 and 75 tanks respectively. Just rinse them off and drop them in. They do lower PH and absorb chemicals. My otos love them. and apistos love to hide beneath them. I have read they carry some medicinal properties..don't know about that, but I have never had healthier tanks.

If you ever buy them get Grade C..they have same qualities as A and B grade, just don't look as perfect. Fish don't care and, frankly, they look more natural.

Comment

TROPICAL ALMOND LEAF  

Comment

Hi All...Just a bit of info regarding the leaves.

I was introduced to leaves by a couple of Thai Betta breeders. When the Indian Almond dried leaves are placed into the water, a strong brown dye is given off. The dye contains organic acids humic and tannins. The water darkens to a yellowish brown (tea-like color) after a few days, which is exactly the same as the Betta fishes' natural habitat. The changed water seems to harden their scales. It helps them heal wounds and ward off illnesses.

The humic and tannins from the Indian almond leaves also lowers the pH of the water, absorbs harmful chemicals and helps create a soothing and calm environment for the fish. The leaves can also be used to treat bacteria infection and help the Bettas recover from injuries. Some people also use them to increase breeding frequency. But be careful, because it also makes the male more aggressive at breeding time. On the other hand, it also helps the female recover from any wounds she receives during the breeding process.

I use one square-inch of leaf per half-gallon of water for individual fish. One leaf per 10-gallon rearing tank for the fry. One-leaf per half-filled 10-gallon breeding tank.

If anyone is interested I have just gathered quite a few freshly fallen Indian Almond Leaves, as i live in Thailand. If anyone is interested please PM for more information. Prices are very very reasonable and include postage via airmail from Thialand.

Regards
                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X