Rusty and a Red Zebra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty and a Red Zebra?

I watched a dance today between my male rusty and what looks like a red zebra.  We watched the whole process and they did it in a very crowded aggressive tank.  Their platform was a piece of slate on the top of a pile.  It was beautiful.  I'm not sure if she will hold them "to term" or not, but it was cool explaining the process to Berni.   Has anyone else ever seen the two cross before?  I will be interested in seeing the fry if they do make it - not to worry... she will go into another tank in a few weeks.
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Re: Rusty and a Red Zebra?

Been there done that....  Mbunas are really good about "hooking up" with whomever catches their attention.  I had a female that would breed with just about anything in the tank; mbunas, peacocks, whatever.  Then I had a peacock male that was the same, in fact you got some of the "mystery fry" from one of my cross breedings for one of your school tanks.

Comment

THose babies turned out to be beautiful....
      Here are pics of the soon to be parents ;-)
      Actually ... I think these two fish came from you in that 45 show I purchased from you.
      momma

poppa
      5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
      29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they did.  I still wish that I had that tank, it was a nice one.  As soon as Petco decides to have another $1 a gallon sale, I'm for sure buying another one.

Comment

And because her account is weird and I can't figure out why, here are the pictures she linked above:

I'm still trying to figure it out, Reba!!  
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I think that bottom one is an Ice Blue Zebra that I ended up getting from Raul the more I look at it....LOL.

Comment

well, when he is mating, he turned almost white, but normally he looks um...rusty colored.
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

trying this one
                / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

WOOHOOOOOOOOOo it worked... okay...
                  back to my movies lmao
                  / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Does the "Rusty" cichlid look like this one? This is Pat my first cichlid, and the weirdest one in my collection:
                    Sorry the pics are horrible, I'll try to get some more soon

Currently fishless, but a proud mama to a musk turtle hatchling.

Comment

Who knows... Babies ought to be interesting....LOL!!!!

Comment

It's a PAT!!! lol don't bother asking, it's a terribly long story. Pat looks identical to that one though, and noone ever knows what Pat is, therefore any cichlid that looks like my "Pat" becomes a Pat  Yes I'm crazy
                        Currently fishless, but a proud mama to a musk turtle hatchling.

Comment

Shelle, I think yours and hers were both Ice Blue Zebras.  That's really close to what Rrocket had and I ended up with one of the random fry he had when I bought a group Hongiis from him.  It was like a hitch hiker that didn't want to leave his buddies....LOL.

Comment

Mine looks like when he was doing his dance.  He turns a darker richer burnt red when he is demonstrating his dominance.
                            He doesn't ever really look like this:
                            The Pseudotropheus Ice Blue is a beautiful African cichlid with a contrasting orange dorsal fin over an icy blue body! The Pseudotropheus Ice Blue Maylandia greshakei, also known as William’s Mbuna, is a pretty zebra-type cichlid from Lake Malawi, Africa. It has a very appealing coloration of an ice blue body contrasted with a bright […]

He usually looks like this:

However... he could probably look like a combo of the two *shrugs*
                            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Good looking fish in both pics...
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X