Koi Angel's first Spawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi Angel's first Spawn

My Koi angels just had their first spawn. I'm not sure who's mom and who's pop. They have both been taking turns fanning the eggs. I just noticed the eggs on my filter intake. I don't plan to remove them. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Here are a few pictures.

And here is a picture of Egor. I don't know if you can tell in the picture but his/her mouth is to the side of his/her face. It don't stop him/her from eating and living a normal life. Egor dosen't have a mate yet.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Koi Angel's first Spawn

Congrats edm, those are nice koi angels, hopefully we see wigglers soon, keep us updated

there are other fish in that tank right?  i want to take the same approach and leave the parents and fry in if any of my 4 koi's ever pair off and spawn,

good luck
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Yes there are other fish in the tank. I hope they are good parents and I hope at least a few survive.  

Comment

Congratulations on your spawn, nice looking pair  

Unfortunately, it will be a miracle if any fry survive in a community environment.  No matter how hard the parents try, it seems there's always someone in the tank just a little sneakier or faster then the parents.  Or, the parents panic and have caviar themselves.  Do you have a small tank you can move the eggs to?  If the parents ovipositors are still down you can tell the female from the male by the shape.  The females will be stubbier and rounder where as the males will be more pointed, like a pencil point. They can pick the strangest of places to deposit their eggs.  Even if there's not a suitable leaf or similiar object I've had them deposit eggs on the glass itself.  Determined little darlings, aren't they.  Keep us posted we love progress reports and pictures.

Should Egor ever find his/her perfect companion and they start raising a family you will need to watch the fry closely.  Not knowing if Egors mouth problem is genetic or related to water conditions as a fry he/she may not be a very good candidate for breeding .  If it's genetic you will most likely see fry with the same condition and you would not want to further propagate the genetic defect.  I have a couple of fish myself that should have been euthanized long ago but they are separated from the rest.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Thanks for the information. My qt tank is in use right now. And I don't want to use my 10 gallon qt. I just used it a few weeks ago for a copper treatment. I'm afraid the copper may leach out. If some survive that will be great if not, that's nature. They are just really cool to watch. The angels are in my 90 gallon semi planted tank. The plants aren't large enough right now to hide fry. Maybe one day when the plants are larger the fry will survive. I didn't think they were ready or old enough to spawn. It was a total suprise to me. I never even realized that they had paired up.

I don't think I could ever euthanize Egor. I also have a blue german ram that has the same defect. My rams have spawned a few times but they always eat the eggs or wigglers.  :(  They just can't seem to get it right. It really don't matter either way. I love fry and I love to watch them grow. But after they are all grown I never know what to do with them. Actually I never want to give them up until I run out of room. :wink:  

I'll keep everyone posted if things go well.

Comment

oooo.. nice!
            Congrats!

I actually quite like Egor's sweet lips... looks cute.
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

When I got home from work all of the eggs were gone. Not sure who ate them. I'm sure they will try again. I'll be watching for the next spawn and maybe then I will be ready for it.  :wink:

Comment

Working...
              X