DIY Sponge prefilter question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sponge prefilter question...

For those of you who do your own sponge filters...please let me know if this will work or not.

I purchased a large block sponge from the local grocery store...i cut it up and cut slits on the top to slide it onto the intake tube of my filter...will this work ok???  I am using this because of small shrimp in my tank and i am worried they will be sucked into the intake.  This is the sponge I ended up picking up.   What I am worried about is whether the sponge is ok to use or not as in if there will be any chemicals or anything in there...thank you for any assistance...

Re: DIY Sponge prefilter question...

I am sure it will work, just be sure to rinse it thoroughly.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Should be fine....make sure it says things like non-toxic....you don't want it say things like mildew resistant.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

it doesn't say anything about being mildew resistant or nontoxic.  it was super cheap so i'm guessing there would be no chemicals added...it was less than a dollar.

Comment

Should be OK, but yes, rinse it a few times very good.   Unless you work something out, this sponge will float.  Just fyi.
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

It will work for a short time....I tried one like it and within 2 weeks it was disintigrating in the tank and gunking everything up.
            215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
            180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
            58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

I use carwash sponges.  They are shaped like the number eight if you know what I mean.  I cut these in half and they last a long time.
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

It will work for a little while. I use the small Aquaclear filter sponges on my intakes. They last forever.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                X