Success Story - Including before and after pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Story - Including before and after pics

I wanted to share this success story with my fellow box'ers.  Some of you know the history of these guys, but for those of you who don't, I'm going to document it here.

Back in late February, I drove out to pick up some fish from a friend at a LFS.  He had mentioned having some Tropheus Moliros that he had received in a large order that were very sick.  He offered to let us have them since they were in such bad shape and he wasn't going to be able to sell them.  He told me that when they had arrived they had a severe fungus which he had treated with an anti-fungal medication.  Their eyes were almost completely covered with a white film and they wouldn't eat so they were very very thin.  Honestly, I wasn't sure we'd be able to save them, but decided to give it a shot.

I brought them home and put them in a 55 gallon all by themselves.  We started out treating the entire tank with Erythromyacin for a few days.  Then we switched to Tetracycline for a few days.  Finally, I found some Tetracycline Gel-drops and made a paste out of Spirulina flakes and the Tetracycline medicine.  I made little food/medicine balls and let them drop to the sand.  The Moliros found the food/med and ate it right up.  This is how they were fed for several days.  During all this, we did 30% water changes 3 times a week.  Blind fish are messy eaters.  

They've gradually gotten better and better and have put on lots of weight and have brilliant color.  They are still blind and I suspect they always will be, but we have a system for feeding that works great.  We buy the Hikari Cichlid Excel MEDIUM pellets and soak them until they get soft and puffy.  Then smush them just enough so that they will sink but stay large.  The Moliros graze along the bottom of the tank and slurp up the pellets that they bump with their noses.  It works!  

So, tonight we moved them out of the 'special needs' tank and into a 135g with some other Trophs.  They are doing so good that I had to share this experience and post some before and after pictures.  

Before - these are from the first day they came home to us.....

And these are from tonight, after being moved into a tank with other Trophs!

Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: Success Story - Including before and after pics

wow, they look great now.  GOOD JOB!!!
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

You are the saviour!

They look awesome now! Why not add the lone male you are offering with these?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would except I'm worried that he's a little too aggressive for these guys to deal with.  They are 100 times better, but I'm still ultra-protective of them.  I'm a dork.  
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

Those are gorgeous.  I wish I knew more about that species of fish - I think I am going to research about them for a bit :)

Nice work helping them recover!

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Krisvalkyrie";p="
            I wish I knew more about that species of fish - I think I am going to research about them for a bit :)
            They are amazing fish.  Gorgeous, yes.  But the personality that comes with Tropheus is unbelievable.  Once you get into Trophs, there is no going back.  We started with 2 Duboisi about 3 years ago.  Now we have somewhere around 150 Tropheus, 9 different kinds.   8)
            Our Fishhouse

Comment

I am just hoping Diehl doesn't see that - he won't let me get any!

Maybe after we find a new place I can get another tank and try some tropheus.  

Kris

Comment

excellent job Traci....they are gorgeous.......thanks for sharing their story with us........

Comment

That's an awsome story. Thanks for sharing..

Comment

Great job! They look great. Very nice story.
                    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisvalkyrie";p="
                      I am just hoping Diehl doesn't see that - he won't let me get any!

Maybe after we find a new place I can get another tank and try some tropheus.  

Kris
                        Well, let me know when you decide to do it.  The stuff you'll read online can make Trophs out to be far more scary than they actually are.  As long as you keep their water super clean and their dietary needs in check, it's a piece of cake.  And I'm happy to talk to Diehl...he'll get just a hooked as everyone does on Trophs.   They are such fun fish.
                      Our Fishhouse

Comment

WOW! They look wonderful! That's such a great story. What lucky fish!

:clap:  :clap:
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Why did you switch from Erythmycin to Tetracycline?

Excellent results regardless, the fish are just about a complete turnaround from when you got them.
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Great job!
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus";p="
                              Why did you switch from Erythmycin to Tetracycline?
                              Because I read that erythromycin only stops the bacterial growth, and relies on the immune system to actually kill the bacteria.  These guys were so beat down that I was worried their immune systems were not strong enough to win over the bacteria.

Tetracycline is more of a broad-spectrum antibiotic, plus it both kills and stops the bacterial growth.  Since I really didn't know what was wrong with them, I felt like an antibiotic that had a larger reach was the way to go.

I love erythromycin and use it primarily for times when the other cichlids get in fights and end up with bacterial infections as a result of wounds.  It's magic in those cases and I wouldn't use anything else.  We keep both on hand because they both have their specific uses.
                              Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
                              X