water condition at Midtown Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water condition at Midtown Houston

I live in Midtown Houston in Richmond Square Apartment. today i did water change for my 55g tank which contain  a community of African cichlids. i had not fed my fish anything before i did water change. and when i was changing water, i had added 20 ml chrorite remover/(for 25 to 30 g water change)  to the tank like suggested by label on the bottle. and the thing is my electric blue was dead and other cichlids looked so tired. So i want to ask some question about this problem:
    1) was that because the fish so tired because of lack of food< and they could not get comfortable with the water change?
    2) i had added chrorite remover,  was that  because of water condition in my apartment or generally in midtown?

I lost my lovely fish today, and i dont want this happen again by changing water. So, please give me some advices and recommendations like you always do for your tank ( i dont know if someone live in Midtown has the same problem like this)

Thanks for reading my thread.....

Re: water condition at Midtown Houston

what kind of filtration do you have on the tank?
    do you have a way of testing the water for amonia?., ph?, ect...?
    how long have you had the tank up and running?

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812";p="
      I live in Midtown Houston in Richmond Square Apartment. today i did water change for my 55g tank which contain  a community of African cichlids. i had not fed my fish anything before i did water change. and when i was changing water, i had added 20 ml chrorite remover/(for 25 to 30 g water change)  to the tank like suggested by label on the bottle. and the thing is my electric blue was dead and other cichlids looked so tired. So i want to ask some question about this problem:
      1) was that because the fish so tired because of lack of food< and they could not get comfortable with the water change?
      2) i had added chrorite remover,  was that  because of water condition in my apartment or generally in midtown?

I lost my lovely fish today, and i dont want this happen again by changing water. So, please give me some advices and recommendations like you always do for your tank ( i dont know if someone live in Midtown has the same problem like this)

Thanks for reading my thread.....
      I'm not sure...but I think yesterday was we had a chance for rain which cause the city to dump alot of chemicals into the water.....

Comment

Sounds like either chemicals in the water or temp too different.

Have you tested your water supply?
        What dechlorinater are you using? better to use for the whole tank volume rather just the amount removed
        Temps out tap and tank?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Next you change water try to store the water for 24 hours before adding it in your tank.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I had this mysteriously happen to me on my 30 cube about a year and a half ago. It was already an established tank, and I was doing a water change as usual. Then I go to fill up/dechlorinate and all the fish started dropping like flies. I was only able to salvage one fish from the entire group.

I live in midtown as well, and sometimes on hotter days, the tap from the sink even on cold will come out very hot. I guess the pipes heat up from the vast temperature increase from night to day. Who knows, storing the water ahead of time might not be a bad idea if you have room to do it. Sorry for your lose

Hope this helps

Comment

I have a chlorine test kit, and a couple of days ago for the first time ever, it showed a measure of chlorine in our tap water.  I've just been using extra dechlorinator for water changes.
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Geeks......as may tanks as y'all have and as much money y'all have invested into all the Tropheus I think it's time for a carbon filter.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

We've got one.  Just need to change the filter...and I always forget to pick up a replacement when I'm at Home Depot.
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

i'm moving this thread to the disease/disasters forum

Comment

well, i know that the water in the tank before i drained out was about 81 degree and i uses hose connected between tank and sink to change water. i drained water out from the tank and pour water in just the same way. i did not know temp of water pouring in. and the thing is i dont know have rooms to store water like you guys suggested .
                      If we dont know temp of water we intend to pour in to the tank, is   warmer or cooler water   better? i can feel it by my hand.  
                      i dont like using the buckets because i may make the floor wet and it can make the carpet dirty.

Comment

I run the water over my thermometer and keep an eye on it so that I can change it to cooler or warmer if I need too. Just remember sometimes it will take a minute or so to measure your temp. And if it is still too hot with the cold water running, you can do the water change earlier in the morning or later in the evening.
                        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I run digital thermometers so it's almost instant for my but what I like to do is run the water into a cup with a floating thermometer for a while to make sure it's not too cold and always let the water run for some time before filling my tanks to purge anything in the lines. NEVER use hot water since it could contain copper from the lines in older houses.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you would only store the water for 24 hours with an air stone it will resolve alot of the problems.

Since I been storing the water I have not check my water in over 3 years now.
                            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

You don't put anything in your water, correct?
                              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X