saltwater question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saltwater question

I realize we, for the most part, discuss freshwater, but since I am a newbie to the saltwater realm, I am not as comfy asking this question anywhere else.   Since several of you are on Marshreef, I am hoping you can answer my quesiton.
    In my 20 I have three damsels and nothing else.  This was an established tank that was given to me complete with the live rock, the saltwater transported in buckets, and the algae already on the back of the tank.  The tank has grown this lovely red velvet.  Now i have a purple patch that is almost um.. hairy.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    Since i have issues posting pics I am posting the links to my photobucket.  

5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Re: saltwater question

Hey I got a tip for you R.....Dont' drink the water..... :)

I know zip/squat about salt water tanks.....good luck with your new venture into the deep.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

From what I have been told that is the result of not enough flow in the tank.  What type of lighting are you using and how long do you have the light on?

Comment

Wow... not enough flow?  The purple is exacly where the flow hits.  The filter is for a 60 gallon tank.  The lighting is on about 10 hours, then moonlighting when the main light is off.  I think it is a compact flourescent (the short dual/looped lights... 2 of them)
        5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
        29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
        / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

To post pics, type:
          [img] whatever the link is in the middle [/img]

here are your pics:

Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

it is kind of like when I try to quote someone... the text/symbols are correct, it just doesn't show up *shrugs*
            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

*triple post deleted*
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

there can't be any spaces in between the link and the [img] in order for it to work. Try it with one of your pics.

Comment

/ 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

edit it with lower case

Comment

even if I copy and paste directly from photobucket it doesn't work.
                      but does no one know about the purple hairy carpet?
                      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

this is normal and is found in most new SW tanks. The red stuff is called cyanobacteria, or Red Slime Alage. . Cut back on your feedings and you don't have to leave those lights on for 10 hours. If you still have probloms or it keeps getting worse, there is this white powder you can buy. But I can't rememebr the name.
                        2 75s, 125,55,25 and 14 gallon tank

Comment

go here and read the id pages http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1031074 best advice i can give is to read through this info. it will answer a million questions that you would have otherwise had to ask. when done you will be a lot more knowledgeable and more able to properly maintain a saltwater tank. Josh

Comment

i dont meen to sound negative but adding any chemical is only going to mask the problem temporarily you need to get to the root cause to have any success with salwater. one thing you will learn in salt is that only bad things happen fast. if you want to keep the tank and have success, take your time and read as much as possible and be patient. dont be afraid to ask lots of silly questions, everyone must start somewhere. reading the suggested website will prevent people from being harsh if you ask a newbie question, by the time your done with those links you will have a very good understanding of a salt tank. sorry i dont have a direct answer for you. i

Comment

The premium domain name aquatichouse.com is for sale. Make an offer or buy it now at a set price. Simple, safe and secure through

what I have always used in my own tank. Works everytime.
                              2 75s, 125,55,25 and 14 gallon tank

Comment

Working...
                              X