Possible lock jaw on a Apistogramma cacatuoides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible lock jaw on a Apistogramma cacatuoides

My apisto (pops) may have lock jaw. But his jaw is closed not open. I posted this on another forum and they have only heard of lock jaw with an open mouth. I really don't know what's wrong with him and they suggested to humanely euthanize the fish. His color has turned to a dark gray on his body, his fins are still a good bright color. When I first moved him to the new tank I lost him for about a week. Could not find him anywhere. Then he just showed back up. I now know where his hiding place is. Last night he was out and about all over the tank. Still not eating. This morning I fed them and he was out, it looked like he sucked up a flake and started to chew. His jaw was barley open. I have not seen him in any fights or anything since we moved him in. I also noticed when he would try to eat he would get aggravated because he couldn't open his mouth. Any suggestions? Should I move him back into the 28 gallon to keep an eye on him?

Param:
    Ammo: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    Ph: 6.2-6.4
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Possible lock jaw on a Apistogramma cacatuoides

If no one else is in the 28g, I would move him back.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Only have one clown loach in there but I can move him to the 90 gallon.
      I've been thinking about putting him back into the 28 gallon so when I get home if he's out I'll do that. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with him. I really feel bad for pops.

Comment

I think that would be best, especially so you can observe him and see what's up. I have no idea what could be wrong. But if it's stressing him out, it would most likely help to separate him and allow him the chance to not have to compete with others for food. This way you could try a few different kinds of foods and see for sure if he's eating anything or not.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Here is a bad picture of him. It looks like he's getting a humpback too. And notice his coloring is sort of gray. I don't know if you can really tell in the picture. I have had him for about 9 months now. Just started having problems when I moved him. I plan to go ahead and move him and mom back into the 28 once I get home.

Comment

Working...
          X