origin of the orange betta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• origin of the orange betta?

Back in the late 90's it was said that we couldn't get orange in bettas because yellow was actually a non-red gene and if you crossed red with yellow and did the appropriate breedings the only thing you would get would be reds and yellows.  I am just wondering if anyone knows where along the line did orange come from.  I seem to recall that Gilbert Limenco started doing breedings with unique colors but I can't remember exactly.  Does anyone know from what genes we got what is now the orange betta?

Thanks,
    Robert

Re: origin of the orange betta?

The orange is a second non-red gene separate from the yellow non-red.   There is a lot of speculation going on as to what we will git if we cross a yellow with an orange.   Of course the first generation F! will be red (one non-red yellow & one non-red orange gene) or will it ?
    I just got a trio of oranges from Gilber and it will be fun to see all the possible combinations.

I wish I could post pictures of them, but for some reason, I have run out of room.  
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
    X