Background question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background question...

Hey guys.... I was wondering if anyone knows where you can buy the foam backgrounds that look like real rock walls and such and epoxy to the back of your tank so you can cover up the filter intakes and heater..etc...   I am going to set up a mbuna tank and really love the look of those life-like backgrounds.  I am just not a big fan of the picture type that stick to the back of the tank. :)  Anyway, I haven't seen anywhere that has them for sale, so I thought I would ask.   thanks!!

Re: Background question...

Drs foster and smith has one kind. Most of them come from the UK (I think). Or you can try ebay. I have seen them on there. Depending on the size of the aquarium.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I understand the size of the tank will be a big factor and the truth is that I don't have it yet..lol.  Thats what happens when you go to disney world and spend more money than you should....it leaves nothing for other endeavors!   Then being that I am the most patient person on earth....ok...not at all, have to wait for extra money to free up again to get this tank project underway.  But, I just thought I would go ahead and start asking questions now so as to not delay me any further once i have the money.

Comment

These backgrounds are high priced, but I have herd lots of good things about them.

I have herd that it takes long deliveries, but take a look at the gallery section before entering the US SHOP

//Introduction Pangea Rocks presents a new line of background for aquariums and terrariums! Using the latest technology ensures that Pangea Rocks can provide the highest quality backgrounds on the market. They are maintenance free, durable and look completely natural. Pangea’s dedicated artists and craftsmen are continually developing new techniques to meet all demands of design […]
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

People have also done alot of them DYI

but I am not sure where you can get materials.

Some have used concrete or plastic.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

yeah, i have seen the DIY stuff and some of it looks nice..  Unfortunately, I am just not the handy type of person.  I am also afraid that concrete or other materials might leech chemicals or other things harmful to my fish.  I could be wrong tho...I just would hate to spend the money on 15-20 demasoni and 10 or so yellow labs to have something silly I did kill them..  So, I want to explore the stuff the pros make first before considering that option.

Comment

HOLY SMOKES!!    I love the look of those backgrounds, but the prices are outlandish..... I was figuring you know..like 60$ or something, but not 210$ for a 24"X48" background.....sheesh!!!!   So, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and try the DIY  thing........maybe just do it, put it in the tank and then monitor the crud out of parameters for quite some time before adding fish.......dang.

Comment

What I meant by depending on the size of the tank: I shopped around for the backgrounds and I would have had to buy two sets to fit my tank. It would have cost me close to $500 just for the background.  8O  8O I found some on ebay at the time but they were smaller sizes. You could special order a larger size but you would be looking at more $$$. I have seen some that were like tiles, but they come 4 to a box. I can't remember where I saw them. After you order enough boxes to do the tank it comes out to about the same price but cheaper shipping. The tiles are local in the usa, the backgrounds are overseas (the backgrounds I found were not local) . Hope this helps.
                A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

The site owner (houstonfishbox) made his own background after having trouble with the ones that are pre-made. Thet can look truly amazing. Check out his pictures on page 5 of the thread.

Ken's 150
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

sweet! thanks for they info guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X