Lighting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting question

This might be a dumb question but I come from the days when you just went out and purchased a light, you went home and it always fit, no problem. Now for my question:
    I purchsed the T-8 light fixture and I am looking at a new light fixture for my saltwater tank. I checked to see what bulbs would go with it. Well they showed T-5 and T-12 bulbs.
    1)Does it matter what kind of fixture it is? If the bulb fits..........and works?
    2)Do you have to use T-8 bulbs in a T-8 fixture? Or T-5 bulbs in a T-5 fixture? etc?
    3)I purchased some bulbs for an old fixture and I think the bulbs are actually T-12 bulbs, the fixture is about 8 years old and the bulbs work. I don't think 8 years ago they had T-5, T-8 or -T-12. Or did they?
    Just wondering, because I would like to order extra bulbs but what if I get the wrong kind?
    Thanks to everyone that educates me on this.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Lighting question

Maybe if I would have read a little more I would have seen this: Accepts T-8, T-10 and T-12 bulbs  
    I am going to leave the question out there anyway for comments.

Comment

The T-# refers to the size of the bulb actually. You'll notice that as the number gets smaller so do the bulbs, thinner and thinner. With the smaller bulbs there is supposed to be an intensifying of the light being concentrated down, which gets better with the use of reflectors.
      The end caps where the bulbs fit in, can take different size bulbs sometimes and that is where the variability comes into play.
      If the bulbs fit in the end caps...it should work, on the condition that the ballast lists the bulbs on it. Certain ballasts can run almost any bulb, if the bulb fits in the end caps.

For example. A Workhorse IV ballast I once had running PC bulbs, also listed T5 HO's, T12's, T8's, T8 HO etc on it. So I cut the end caps off and put some T5 end caps on and had myself some T-5HO bulbs in there. Lovely lights.

So check your ballast and if the bulbs are listed on there, and they fit the end caps, your good to go. Wiring is not that hard and all the parts can be found at most any hardware store. A little research and you'll find that its simple.

Comment

yeah, the numbers refer to the diameter of the bulb. certain diameters all have the same pin base size, the little prongs on the end.

Comment

Thanks, as you can see I am new to all these new lights. It's like going to the store to buy butter... who knew there were so many kinds. What every happened to parkay?  
          I really appericate the information. And I will make sure to check out my ballast before ordering. I never knew there were so many different kinds of lights out there. I just heard about MH about 4 months ago. I actually had to look it up because I didn't know what the heck they were talking about.    And here is one better for you: I never knew there were fish forums either. I just found them totally by accident.  :wink:  Thanks again.
          Lissa

Comment

If I am not mistaken, T8's and T-12's are interchangeable.

T5's take a special connector.

I have not seen T6 Bulbs to know what connector they take.  I know at one time Walter "wvdiscus" had a bunch of T6 fixtures from Odysea.

Each number represents 1/8 of an inch.  There fore a T8 bulb is 1" in diameter.  T-5 is 5/8" in diameter.

T-12 is 1-1/2" in diameter.

Typical T5 will be brighter, and more effecient use of power than T12 but dont last as long.  T5's are also higher wattage so becareful, they can get hot.

Hope this helps..
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

As stated, the T# gives the diameter of the lamp, or bulb in eighths of an inch.  A T8 is 8 eighths, or 1 inch in diameter. A T12 is twelve eighths or 1 1/2 inches in diameter. A T5 is 5/8" in dia. T12 and T10 have customarily been used with magnetic ballasts, T8, T5 and pc with electronic ballasts. Ballasts are rated for a total wattage of lamp(s), some able to power several types and sizes of lamps. The sockets that the pins on the end of the fluorescent tubes fit in are called tombstones in the electrical trade. T12, 10 and 8 all have the same spacing between the two lamp pins and can fit into the same tombstone. T5 are much smaller so fit into tombstones appropriate to their pin spacing. Also, a 48" T12 is usually 40 watts while a 48" T8 is usually 32 watts.

Mark

edit: you  beat me to the post, geoff, but I'm gonna leave it there

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I did notice that most of them said to use only over a glass canopy and not over open water. I was wondering what all that was about. My guess was maybe they did get hot and any water splashing would make them burst. Not sure if I guessed right. I also read something about electronic ballast uses up to 50% less electricity than the magnetic ballast. Do you know if that's true?  

And yes that does help. Thanks.

Comment

48" T5 Bulb is 54 Watts

Comment

You can get a lot of good information on lighting in these articles.

I found this one rather helpful.

Start there, then hit the links at the bottom for each lighting type that has your fancy.

Comment

Not sure about the magnetic versus the electronic ballast, sorry.

But, I have a couple of T6 bulbs I ordered from Big Al's. They fit into the "normal" T8, T10, T12 sockets. I believe they have two different types of T6s out there - what you'll mostly see is single pin T6s, but if you look for the T6s with the "G13" base, you'll get the lamps that fit the standard fluorescent fixtures.
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                      X