fish lips still problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish lips still problem

I have a texas cichlid and his lips are stuck in the out postition.... maybe he got into a fight... looks like he can not shut his mouth.. has anyone seen this before? and is there anything I should do...... he is about 3 years old and a medium size fish..

You know how a kissing gourami looks..... his lips are stuck in the out positition like that... like a fold in his inner lip got folded out or something...
    Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Re: fish lips

I've never heard of that scenario, but I suppose it could happen. It may or may not clear up.  Maybe someone else has more knowledge about this ..?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

already fixed the problem.... seems as though one half of his mouth, the folds that allow his mouth to extend... the folds were folded the wrong way.... like a paper sack.. the folds go inside .. but his fold on half of his mouth were folded outside... I think he must have gotten into a fight... the momma fish has small fry and she prob grabbed him in the face.... to run him off... anyway... the lights have been out for a while so the fish were in thier sleep mode... I gently reached in with the fish net and got him..(no struggle) I kept him in the net and raised it to the surface and gently grabbed him in one hand and massaged the side of his mouth that was open wrong.... I was able to rub that fold back into place and the mouth shut... He was aware of what I was doing as he did struggle a bit.... but I think we have a better understanding of one another now.... kinda like the mouse who removed the thorn from the elephants foot...... I think we are buddies now..... I will see how he is in the morn.. but as of now... he looks pretty normal.... fish are easy to catch when they are asleep or dead...LOL...

Comment

way to go.....nice touch ...
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I seen this happen with a calvus.
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

well, this morn it's back like it was....... I guess I will wait it out....

Comment

Re: fish lips still problem

It is still like this... I attached a pic to the first post.... notice now he has some red coming up.... and on the other side he has a couple a white spots that look like a pimple.... I feel sorry for him.. I do not know what to do... if anything...

Comment

Can you try doing what you did before? Does he seem distressed at all by it?

I had this happen to me with a swordtail a while ago...I wasn't able to help, though. He eventually died.  :(  Very sad.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

well looking at it.. it looks worst and swollen... I do not think that it would work this time.. and I feel like it would be very painfull for him this time around.... it's painful just to look at.... he used to be very playfull, always out swimming... but now he just keeps to his little pipe.... and I havent seen him eat....

Comment

If he's not eating, then I think it will turn out to be a big problem.

Here is a good (I thought) response on some other forum when I googled "dislocated jaw:"

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                    X