Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel's eating plants

My Angel's are eating my crypts....I thought they were plant friendly. 8O
    Does anyone else have this problem? I know it's the angelfish because I saw them eating on it last night. This morning I caught them doing it again.
    After I got home from work I checked the tank and the plant only has a few leaves left. What's the deal? It was the prettiest plant in the tank.
    Is it the best tasting too?
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Angel's eating plants

You should have separate tank for it. What type of plants does it eat? Most people keeps angel fish with hard-leaf plants such as anubia and java fern.

I kept few platies for 1 year, and when they started nipping on the rotala leaves, I gave away all the adults, just keep the babies.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

Not sure of the plant's name. But here's a picture when it was in another tank. Before the angel's ate it.

Comment

I have some angels in a tank with those plants and havent had any problems that I have noticed
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

When you see them pick at the plants thump them!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was about to ask if I should just thump them.  

Comment

Ok I gave up and moved the plant out of the tank. I am also working on removing the others. Here is a picture of the plant as of this morning. It was only in the tank for 5 days. There goes all my dreams of having a semi-planted tank.  I don't know why they call them angelfish....they are more like devils! :evil:

Comment

Go for different plants.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Any suggestions on low light plants with no co2 they won't eat?

Comment

Various Anubias
                    Ferns
                    Bolbitis
                    Vallisneria
                    Dwarf Sag
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks Ek, I will check into those. Meanwhile.....I'll get my ladder ready so I can do some thumping!

Comment

well, crypt melt down when in new tank, maybe thats why the angel picks/eats it...

Comment

You can have a nicely planted tank with Angels.  I have low light and do not inject co2 and have success keeping Angels in this setting with anubias, bolbitas, java fern, sword plants, vals, and most crypts.   I did have one crypt of some sort, (do not speak planteze, sorry) that I got at an HAS auction for a buck that they did keep eating down to the nub.  Poor plant would just start to come back out and it would become lunch.  As far as their demeanor, I agree they are devils most of the time   .
                          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Do you think that maybe it's just a certain type of crypt they enjoy? Maybe it's sweet like candy... :)
                            I did have some java moss stuffed in a tree that was doing really good and they ate it like sphagetti. I didn't like it that much anyway. Just had it in there for a place for the fry to hide. I left the amazon swords in there and another type of plant. I was watching them and they don't seem to be bothering those. I also got a stick ready to thump them.  We'll see if the other plants work out. Thanks for the suggestions. I searched online for the others and found a few I will order soon. I don't want to get too many just in case my little devils eat those too.

Comment

Let me know if the thumping works on their attitude   .  Oh, if they are ready to spawn, they will use a sword plant leaf (or just about anything else) so if they are picking on a sword leaf, it may be they are cleaning up the nursery.
                              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
                              X