Tank Stand Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Stand Question

Okay, I almost put this in fish basics because I'm sure this is a basic knowledge Q&A. I put it here because it has to do with set up of Tank though.

I have a 28g tall tank that I need to move. It's not working where it is and the only other place I have room for it is slightly to small. Exactly 1/2 inch to be exact. The tank is 12 1/2 inches front to back and the surface that I know will hold the weight of the tank is. 12 inches. I've done everything to work around moving it there. But to know avail. It's the last place in the apartment that I can put it. I've had a friend who said, go ahead and try it. However, I wanted to ask what everyone else has done. Or would do.

I realize this might be an ignorant question. But I'm here in part for the education so I appreciate any advice.
    Thank you
    NewAquaMom

Re: Tank Stand Question

With that small of a tank you could easily get away with placing the tank there. As a small safety precaution and to make you sleep a little easier, get yourself a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to the same dimension as the base of the tank and set the tank on that. That will help distribute the weight more evenly and you wont have to worry about blowing a seal further down the road. If you are worried about the appearance of the plywood, trim it with ribbon or something along those lines to make it look more finished since all you will see of it are the exposed edges.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean the tank and stand would be sticking about 1/2", as in you'll be putting it in some sort of cubby hole? Or will it be hanging over some sort of ledge by 1/2"?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Mzungu, It's a counter that is fully supported with a bit of a ledge. I've had a good deal more weight sitting up there. So I'm more worried about the tank than the the counter.
        Again thank you.

Comment

I would do what Scott said.  I know the tank is only 28 gallons, but in the long run, it could cause problems not having one end or the other not properly supported.  This will more lilkely lead to leaks or possible leak in the future.

Lowe's will cut you a piece as long as you take measurements and pay for the wood.

Then paint the wood to match the bar or trim color.

1/4" plywood would be fine I think if you looking to go thiner.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Quarter Inch would be pretty thin, I would go with 3/8 mininum.

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
            X