Problem with Canister Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Canister Filter

I have a ProQuatics 3000 Canister Filter. It has been running for about two and a half years. I took the canister down for a couple of months, and tried restarting it again today. It runs for about five minutes and then cuts out. It makes a loud sound right before it cuts out, as if the impellor was rubbing on something. Everything looks fine though. Any ideas?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Re: Problem with Canister Filter

Did you take it apart and clean the impeller?

Comment

I did. Three or four times.   :)
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Some ideas why a canister runs, then quits.

1.  Impeller is jammed with debris - clean impeller
        2.  Impeller shaft is broken or has excessive wear which makes the rotor get cocked or not able to spin
        3.  Impeller rotor has excessive wear and gets cocked in the housing
        4.  Filter sucks air in and cavitates the pump - loose conections, bad casing o-ring
        5.  Filter Media totally clogged and will not allow flow in - clean media
        6.  Dirty media makes the water vaporize at pump inlet - clean media
        7.  Motor not getting cooling water making the water vaporize - clean the motor "well-area where the rotor goes"
        8.  Calcium deposites on the rotor or in the well, from being out of service, are making clearance issuess

Sorry Tim, I do not know anyother ideas, I have never seen the inside of one of these kinds.  I tried google and found no hits for much of any information on them either.

GEoff
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

does the magnet spin independently from the impeller blades?  they should be locked together.

Comment

The magnet is "locked" with the impeller. That doesn't seem to be the problem. I never thought about actually!

My first guess was the impeller had debris in it, but alas. I'm soaking each part in vinegar water to softer up any calcium deposits so that I can scrub them away. That is the only thing that I can think of is that:

" 8.  Calcium deposites on the rotor or in the well, from being out of service, are making clearance issues"

The media has either been recently cleansed or replaced, so that isn't the problem either. Hopefully a good thorough scrubbing will help!

Comment

I recently had a problem with one of my filters.  When I gave the impellar a good hard scrub, the props fell off.  It took me then a whole 3 seconds to realize that they were to flimsy and not solid.  Although I am positive you have checked everything, maybe my little tidbit will help those who are getting low flow rates and have cleaned everything.
              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

The impellor has frozen in my Hagen Fluval 403 canister filter.  
                I tried grabbing it by the blades and pulling but all I succeeded in doing was to pull the blades and shaft out leaving the magnet still frozen in the motor shaft.
                Poof there goes another $25 impeller.  
                I tried drilling but the magnetic seems to be harder than my carbon steel drill bit.
                I think I need some kind of gear puller with a easy out in the center.
                Has anyone ever solved this repair problem?
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

It's odd that it ran fine for a long time, then has this issue after sitting for a short spell. I can't think of any reason or cause for this, unless it was damaged somehow while in storage. If all is well with visible moving componets, I would suspect the stator/motor itself of overheating or something similar...I dont' know really, just adding my two cents.

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

jeeze that sounds like its a pain tim. let me know if i can help at all. good luck.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                      The impellor has frozen in my Hagen Fluval 403 canister filter.  
                      I tried grabbing it by the blades and pulling but all I succeeded in doing was to pull the blades and shaft out leaving the magnet still frozen in the motor shaft.
                      Poof there goes another $25 impeller.  
                      I tried drilling but the magnetic seems to be harder than my carbon steel drill bit.
                      I think I need some kind of gear puller with a easy out in the center.
                      Has anyone ever solved this repair problem?
                      Have you considered a small, controlled explosion to try to loosen things up?
                      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Right now I am trying a bleach soak, hoping that whatever  is causing it to bind up is organic and the bleach will clear it away.

Next step is a mini Tourch to see if it will shrink before the plastic melts....

I hadn't thought about gunpowder.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless";p="
                          I have a ProQuatics 3000 Canister Filter. It has been running for about two and a half years. I took the canister down for a couple of months, and tried restarting it again today. It runs for about five minutes and then cuts out. It makes a loud sound right before it cuts out, as if the impellor was rubbing on something. Everything looks fine though. Any ideas?
                          As the impeller runs, the body of the magnet and the powerhead socket it fits into both wear slightly...the longer they run, the more wear. Over time this slight gap is usually offset by a small build-up of slime. When dried out and cleaned the gap is much more pronounced and can result in the magnet rattling around in the socket and eventually stopping. I have had my aquaclears do this over the years. The only good solution I was able to find was replacing the powerhead assembly and the magnet/impeller.

Mark
                          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan";p="
                            jeeze that sounds like its a pain tim. let me know if i can help at all. good luck.
                            I took it all apart and let it sit in a vinegar/water solution for a couple days. I reassembled it, and presto... it worked. It does rattle a little. It is up and running on a shrimp tank now...

Originally posted by wesleydnunder";p="
                            As the impeller runs, the body of the magnet and the powerhead socket it fits into both wear slightly...the longer they run, the more wear. Over time this slight gap is usually offset by a small build-up of slime. When dried out and cleaned the gap is much more pronounced and can result in the magnet rattling around in the socket and eventually stopping. I have had my aquaclears do this over the years. The only good solution I was able to find was replacing the powerhead assembly and the magnet/impeller.

Mark
                            So, would it be best to keep it running and not clean out the slime?

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                            Right now I am trying a bleach soak, hoping that whatever is causing it to bind up is organic and the bleach will clear it away.

Next step is a mini Tourch to see if it will shrink before the plastic melts....

I hadn't thought about gunpowder.
                            I like the sound of gunpowder!!!

Comment

It's working.     8O    Don't touch it !!
                              "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                              "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                              -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Working...
                              X