Iodine and crays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iodine and crays

I'm taking care of Kims Crays for her this summer.

One of them shed last night (darn near gave me a heart attack this morning when I went to feed them and see a mangled "body" next to one of the caves.)

It looked like she was missing one of her claws, So I'm guessing it was a pretty difficult shed for her.

Kim is wanting me to get some Iodine to start dosing the tank with.  

I'm hesitant to start doing this, I just dont like adding chemicals to the water unecesarily.  But if it really does help then I will.

Does anyone have personal experience that adding a few drops of iodine will help with shedding?

what about foods that contain iodine? any that will help?

Re: Iodine and crays

I always add about 1/4 teaspoon to my water change container (approx 35 gallons) when I'm doing w/c's on my cray tanks.  I've seen some really difficult molts without it - especially after they reach the point where they're only molting once every 4-5 months. (usually around 3" in size).  

I've seen no ill effects to any tank inhabitants which include guppies, mollies, amano shrimp, chinese algae eaters, red cherry shrimp, and probably a variety of other fish too.  

Most info you find online suggests 1 DROP per 10 gallons of water, I've used slightly more (when I get sloppy) and still seen no ill effects.  

I've never tried foods that contain iodine although I don't always read all the labels on the food I feed them - so some probably have iodine in them.  I feed a variety of tetramin granules, shrimp pellets, cichlid "Attack", tropical flake, earthworm pellets and goldfish pellets (and probably some other stuff that I don't remember in the last few years of raising them).
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Re: Iodine and crays

well the big one is close to if not 3 inches now.

I'll go buy some this afternoon.

I've been feeding primarily shrimp pellets, with some sinking wafers, and algae wafers mixed in.

Comment

Working...
      X