used 200 gal oceanic project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used 200 gal oceanic project

it has reef ready over flows.one on each side. 2 holes on each side. 3/4 return and 1" drain. it needs to be resealed. why can't i remove them when i strip out silicone and use stand pipes and gain 5 gal tank space. i have naver owned a drilled tank before. going to use a 75 gal sump. a pair of mag 9 's. talk to me,please  - JOHN

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Re: used 200 gal oceanic project

You can keep the overflows in there and fill them with bioballs and filter floss. Then use a driptray like in a wetdry to spread the water out over the balls/floss.
    That way you can have two huge wetdrys on it. Depending on if they are standard overflows or were installed later on.

Im using that setup on a 135RR Oceanic with a 55g sump. The return pump pushes 1340gph at 3' lift. Its closer to 4', but still kicks the water out.

Comment

John,

you can cut the overflows out and seal the holes with bulkheads. I will be on your side of town Sunday if you want me to swing by and show you.

Comment

You can also seal up the holes with 3/4" thick glass to. I did it on my 200 gallon tank.
        If you going to use a wet/dry your better off useing the holes.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I agree with Walter..John you can reseal the overflow box easy

Comment

I would prefer to keep them....they skim off the surface of the water, provide a cage around the bulkheads if you plan on keeping the pvc to prevent unwanted bumps which could crack the tank, also hide the pvc from plain view.

The first reason would be reason enough for me to keep them in place and utilize it.....less surface scum equals better light penetration and with better light penetration the whole tank/fish look better. Also breaks the water surface which aids in gas exchange.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i personally prefer reef ready tanks. why not just re-seal the aquarium and set the overflows up with durso stand pipes??

Comment

i know taking the reef readys out will not help the value. but wont the stand pipes also skim the water. i would use black threaded pipes so they should not stand out. i see where the box would protect them. dont want a cracked tank or flooded house. it seemed like a good ideal last night after i had a few. come on delock, i will be home all day sunday. Alex told me about filling the boxes with media, thats probably the best way to go. the good thing is the center brace is out so sealing will be much easier. i will do the brace last. thanks everyone-John

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

filling the box with bio ball will help with more then removing the box.

Comment

you can never have too much stability in a tank. why i like plants too.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                    X