Favorite deceased LFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite deceased LFS

Ok, what are your favorite LFS from the past?  LFS that are no more? LFS that have ceased to be?
    Mine are :
    1. Aquamart (Hillcroft/Beechnut) I met David Abeles there when he was a semi-obnoxious teen who MADE me buy fish that I like from there. Ask him! :wink:
    Besides David, thes rest of the staff (Kit, Ty, Era, Eric) were all friendly and courteous. They went as far as calling me and letting me know when fish that I like would come in. Talk about personalized service! Prices were the absolute lowest on fish foods, drygoods and equipment, PERIOD! They were also open until 9 pm on weekdays, so I was able to go there after work. When they were closing for good, Eric GAVE me a case of african cichlid salt! It was sad to see them close.
    2. Tropical Fish World (S. Post Oak/Willowbend) I visited this store when I was a child in the 70's. I remember it being very clean, great selection of fish. I do not remember ever seeing a dead fish there.
    3. Anything Fishy (Weslayan/Westpark) I think this was related to Aquarium World (correct me if I am wrong). Some of the fish were pricey, but they were displayed beautifully in acrylic tanks. It was the kind of store I enjoyed visiting even if I did not buy anything. I did buy a pair of axolotls there in the early 90's for only 5.00 each (not native larval tiger salamanders/waterdogs that were common in other LFS at the time). Unfortunately they ate the gravel in the tank and committed amphibian suicide.
    4. Fish Ranch 2 (when it was on Hillcroft/Richmond, seemed like a completely different store then): Again beautiful acrylic tank displays, great selection of fish and herps, great prices on dry goods and filters.
    5. Village Tropical Fish (it was distinct from Fish Gallery) Nice display tanks, the room being lit by the aquarium lights only made for a stunning display. The African cichlid room in the back (replicated by the New Fish Ranch) was a nice touch. Great service by Don and Bobby. Common fish may have been pricey (like their descendant Fish Gallery), but they did carry rare fish like giant glassfish, "freshwater lionfish" (brackishwater toadfish more like it), midnight gobies, candystipe gobies, tonguefish, etc.  
    6. Tropiquarium (forgot to mention this one before, thanks for the reminder, Charles :) ): Great selection of fish and dry goods at low prices. Liked that they carried aquatic herps ( I still have a musk turtle I got from them). At that time, I found out that a former coworker of mine used to work for Mike Senske's father.
    Small world!
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Re: Favorite deceased LFS

1. Inwood Aquariums.....only place that would take in my thousands of convict fry.....later to find out it was only because they were friends with my pops(now knowing that no one wants convicts)
    2. Aquamart? off of 45N after tidwell
    3. Village Tropical
    4. The now CityPets...this one is still a favorite
    5. The saltwater warehouse that was where the now Fireplace store is on 59 after chimney rock.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i of course miss aquamart on beechnut (lol go figure) i too miss how village used to be versus what it has become as fishgallery, but they still have one of the best selections, even if a bit pricey.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

tropical fish depot  :wink:

Comment

Kid's Aquarium of of RedBluff.......   showing my age here.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

mike's ...........  
            5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
            20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
            29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
            29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
            29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
            55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
            75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

1. Tropiquarium (can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet)
              2. Kidd's Aquarium
              3. Village Tropical Fish
              4. Aquamart
              5. Discount Tropical Fish (when it was at Gessner/Harwin)
              6. Barrier Reef

OH...I ALMOST FORGOT!!

1-800 SEAHORSE

Charles Jones
              http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
              Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

*BUMP*

....simply to amuse myself
                Charles Jones
                http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Originally posted by marauder_77868";p="
                  OH...I ALMOST FORGOT!! 1-800 SEAHORSE
                  I said FAVORITE, not LEAST FAVORITE!  :?  We should do a thread for least favorites deceased LFS (as long as they are constructive reasons, not personal vendettas).
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

1.pets galore-town and country,my 1st fish store
                    2.fish city-westheimer,home of the wet pet
                    3.fish ranch-campbell,mr hart called geophagus jupari "gravel gertie."
                    4.cichlid imports-park place,the"ultimate fish"of the mid eighties
                    5.village-the village,mike,dan,donny,and bobby all at the same place
                    6.the others-mr fish,oscars,lees world of pets,daves,aquamart,discount,etc

least favorite   aquarama    AQUARAMA.......up to 99 fish for 99 cents!!!!!!!

Comment

xxx

Comment

Dave's in Windsor Plaza @ Richmond & 610. Don't know if this was the best or not, but they were always clean and had healthy fish and were very nice to me with all my first-timer's questions.

Comment

What about Neptune's Garden on 45 at Fuqua?
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

isnt that megans emporium now? is just around the corner.. nice people there..

Comment

do anyone remember the fish store on 45 next to Gallery Furniture in the strip center?

Comment

Working...
                              X