Favorite LFS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite LFS???

Okay, so based on recent posts here I go.

I will just say that in terms of ability to order, serve, and knowledge the new Fish Ranch wins hands down. Charles is by far the RockStar of the hobby and is most courteous and willing to order whatever we need. The store is clean and stock is growing.

Old fish ranch II seems to be going down hill. I am disappointed in the direction the store is going :(

Fish Gallery is a beautiful store. Lots of stuff and very nice staff but $$$ are WAY high

Mike's... :( No more

City Pets, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes the service is good, sometimes it sucks. I can't figure out the pattern yet but there is a good stock of odd parts. Fish seem to be questionable at times.

X-Treme and Fish-n-Pets Unlimited are both owned by the same family. None of them seem to really be into the hobby. It's just a business to them and they service and knowledge is questionable.

I like Fish R Us in the Woodlands but it is way to far for us, prices aew way high and stock is limited.

The big box stores just are not an option for us. We support our LFS.

So in summary, here in Sugarland, I will go to Charles for when I can for advice, information and product.
    All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Re: Favorite LFS???

1. New Fish Ranch: Charles Jones. Enough said
    2. City Pets: Good prices on food and supplies. I can usually find at least 2 fish there I want to come home with.
    3. Fish Gallery: Occasionally has rare hard to find fish (snail consuming Hummingbird Tetra aka Darter Tetra for example). Though their fish may be expsensive, dry goods are decently priced. Don is always nice to talk with.
    4. Fondren Fish'n'Pets: Supplies are excellently priced (equal or less than City Pets). They may carry painted fish (ugh), BUT I have been surprised to find fish like river eels and climbing perch (which I have never seen elsewhere) and hillstream loaches at 5.99.

Let's start a thread also on favorite LFS from the past! I can think of a few.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Well, I can't judge Charle's place since I haven't been there but I am sure if he is still the way he has been then it's great!

Here is how I feel about the LFSs......

City Pets - Donnie and David have always been really helpful, prices are comparable to online, SW selection is good, product selection is really good and I have gotten pretty good service for the most part. I guess being of my ethnic background I am use to how asian owned business's are run so I do not feel the same the others here feel about them.

Fish Ranch II - They use to have lots of cool tetras/nice little fish to accent the planted tank with, SW fish selection is decent, products are piss poor, service has always been good for me....past and present and now that Mike is owner again I expect the livestock to be back up to par...Nick is always cool to talk to.

Fish Gallery - This place for those are frequent the gun stores is like Collector's Firearms....lots of stuff to look at but you are most likely to walk out empty handed. Service if fair but not up to par to their prices. They usually have some of the rare stuff though when it comes to livestock.

Fish Land - Livestock is limited but there are at random some really nice sw fish there....Andy knows his stuff and the customer service makes up for what they lack in livestock. Prices on dry goods are fair as well.

Ultimate Fish - This place caters to the Tanganyikan followers....prices are high but you get the see what you are buying compared to online. Service has been fair but they have their times when it could be better.

T&T fish and reptiles - Probably the best place to find the super nice sw corals, fish all seem to be in good shape and lots of tanks in stock. Q is knowledgeable in the reef area.

Extreme Fish and pets - Recently started carrying Tanganyikans and I find the prices comparable to other LFS but will wheel and deal....The Grandmother there has good customer service....that's all I'm gonna say.

Global fish and pets - Great people own this place and they have a nice selection in SW/Reef but limited on FW unless it's flowerhorns. Has probably the largest/best RO/DI filtration set-up in town.

Houston Aquarium Warehouse - Dan is a good guy with lots of beautiful Discus to offer, His new place is super clean and roomy....about the only place I have seen with a proper set-up for to sell/maintain aquatic plants.

Fish-R-Us - IMO this place sucks all around....poor livestock health, poor selection, rip-off high prices.

Meagan's Tropical Emporium - Great customer service but lacking badly in livestock and dry goods.

Bay Area Aquarium - Saltwater only but great customer service and great livestock

All About Fish - Great guy to deal with with nice SW section.....FW is almost non-existent.

249 Tropical fish - When owned by Kevin it was a nice place to visit since it was close by...Kevin had great customer service and decent livestock. Now owned by the Uncle and it has gone down the drain. Just about everything is horrible about this place now and the fiance waits in the car when I stop by in hopes that it got better it smells so bad.

B&B Tropical Fish - Nice place to visit since customer service is up to par but FW livestock is limited as well as SW corals but the fish selection is decent and on occasion there are some nice corals.

Houston Aquatics - Service isn't all that great but lots of nice livebearers there! Parking lot is not lowered car friendly though.

Inwood Aquariums - Another place that has gone downhill when taken over by family member.....tank prices are pretty good though.

Fish R Fun - Pretty good customer service and decent livestock

Aquarium World - Random cool fish but service is up to par for a large business....prices are high but they offer a guarantee on livestock.

Pet City - Haven't been back since they rebuilt the place after the fire but if it's remotely similar to before then not a place worth going back to.

Aquarium Design Group - Not a true LFS but a great asset to the fish keeping community. The Senske brothers have opened their doors to just about every club in town and offered the best hospitality one could ask for. They also run ADGshop.com which is the largest offering of ADA products in the states.

Aquatic World - Probably the worst place to be considered a LFS but that should be all changing soon with the re-opening with new owner that is also the owner of Global.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex";p="

Let's start a thread also on favorite LFS from the past! I can think of a few.
        Mine would probably have to be Aqua Mart over here off 45N.....My pops took me there all the time and that's where I got my first fishie      
        Other favorite places of the past? Inwood Aquariums, City Pets before it became CP and it was across the street(still one of my favorites though). There were others but too long ago and too many different things keep me from remembering.

Use to be this one massive SW warehouse looking place where I think is now the fireplace store off of 59 right after chimney rock....that was a cool place as well.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I like Geoff's thread about 8 LFSs in one day:

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Great summaries, ek!
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The store I like the best was the old Fish Rance when Charles was there he knows more about Africans Cicihlids then anyone I know.  His new store is a long ways from me so it will be hard for me to go there. Good luck Charles.

Now the best store is the one that will deal with me on there prices and take fish in on trade.
            Have a great day and a better tomorrow

Comment

Cut and paste

City Pets -  Like Ek, I like the old store better. At the old store I would get there 30 mins before closing and get the best deal.

Fish Ranch II -  It was nice to see the original owner back in store last weekend. Cool store....old location was the bomb.

Fish Gallery -  :?

Fish Land - Andy is a nice guy. Good prices and great prices on some saltwater stuff

Ultimate Fish - Great store that could be much better

T&T fish and reptiles - Cool store .... saltwater is nice

Extreme Fish and pets - SUCK

Global fish and pets -  I go there for the wife!

Fish-R-Us -  Remember Jason when he was in Houston....pretty good guy

249 Tropical fish - Not sure of the smell but cheap fish...

Houston Aquatics - Old school store with cheap prices

Inwood Aquariums - I agree on the downhill....Remember this store from back in the days

Fish R Fun -Wait where is this located?

Aquarium World -  :?

Pet City - insurance job

Aquarium Design Group - Never heard of them? Where are they located?

Aquatic World - When it was Fish Ranch 15 it was a pretty cool please to go for saltwater.

Comment

Add Houston Aquarium Warehouse to my list. Great prices on exotic plecos, clean store, friendly service, and quality fish. 8)
                PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Houston Aquarium Warehouse...more of a specialty shop than a general LFS, but Danny specializes in my kinda fish

City Pets..One of the best softgood prices and Donnie is as fair as they get.

Fish Ranch...Charles is owner..enough said.

Comment

BTW..and I am NOT starting a rumor..but I am hearing Fish Gallery is struggling...anyone else heard the same?

Comment

Originally posted by jklntx";p="
                      BTW..and I am NOT starting a rumor..but I am hearing Fish Gallery is struggling...anyone else heard the same?
                      REALLY? :?
                      PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Well if no one else has heard same then its safe to say no.. not really.

Comment

They have been struggling for the longest now....it gets worst.

Delock, Aquarium Desing Group
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

WHAT?

Comment

ADG man ADG!......Aquarium Design Group.

You asked above what and where is ADG....maybe it was sarcastic?
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X