Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a ADA 30-C enough tank for my Viper 150 HQI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a ADA 30-C enough tank for my Viper 150 HQI?

Or will I be growing algae?

Re: Is a ADA 30-C enough tank for my Viper 150 HQI?

WOW.  Thats too much light for that tank.  150 watts over 7.5 gallons is 20 wpg!!!  Even if you could stabilize the water, you would be losing a lot of water due to evaporation.  You would lose a good amount of water every day.  Even a 60p at 18 gallons would be a tough choice.  Most are using 70w hqi over their 60p tanks.  It CAN be done but would require a lot of work.  I dont see you being successful with a 150 over a 30-c.  you can pull off the 60-p if you know what you're doing.
    ADA mini-m planted
    ADA mini-m riparium
    ADA 30-C nano reef
    ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
    ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
    Eheim 90cm SA biotope
    110g Peacocks

Comment

That's a bit too much light. I use 150 HQI to grow acros in a 20 gal!

The Viper HQI is a point source so fw plants directly under it will get scorched.
      If you are using it on the 30C, i think algae will be the last thing you will be worrying about.
      The small water volume means the tank will cook pretty quick under HQI. On top of that, it will scorch the plants.

Unless you are running a nano SPS reef with chiller, i think i'll stick with a mini PC fixture.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

i agree with screename and nacra99.  That is way too much light for that size tank.  Maybe if you put it up like 5 feet above the tank.  
        "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

I thought the 30 was a reference to the gallons... Not the cm s.

Comment

Originally posted by edkrueger";p="
            I thought the 30 was a reference to the gallons... Not the cm s.
            It's 30cmx30cmx30cm.  roughly 12inX12inX12in
            "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
            X