moss rocks for petros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moss rocks for petros

i,m growing my own in plastic water bottles. the type on the water cooler at work. cut off the top,filled them up with tank water. added white limestone rocks. covered with plastic panels.put them in the sun. added pond tabs for nitrates for growth. but the moss falls off the rocks. i know it will get better as summer goes along. the petros like them but they strip them in minutes.i think we could make them better. 75 gal. cooler,cut out the top for a flouresent light in a plastic housing. attatched to the lid. white plastic inside should reflect light well. put on covered porch, plug in and leave light on 24 hrs a day. is there any thing to make moss stick to rocks better? would a spray bar help? pump for circulatiom? any ideals?    john

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Re: moss rocks for petros

Man...i'm not on your level.

You are a freaking genius! If anyone ever get a chance to go by his house....You will love his setups.

And his Petros are HUGE!

Comment

thanks D. what do you think? would circulation help keep the moss attatched? you should see the guys eaten the moss off the center brace. sound like pigs at the trought. slurp slurp

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Are you talking about growing algae?

There is a link on cichlid forum that will give you more info

But, I used to take some holey rock and let it set outside (direct sunlight) for a few weeks. I kept like 5 buckets and rotated the rocks in my tank once a week.

Comment

yea, growing algea. thats what i'm doing, but in clear 5 gal water bottles. but- the algea wont stay attatched. most falls off when i pick them up. as summer goes on i know it will get better.(staying attatced) it would be nice to have a year round supply. would the circulation of a pump force the algea to make better roots and stay attached? anyone?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

ok

Comment

Silica sand + actinic bulb + current = algae freak-a-thon

Comment

I'm thinking that the pump sounds logical to me!!  Good luck!!!!

Comment

I would try rock that is more porous than limestone and the pump. Just a thought. Maybe sandstone?
                  All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

The pump would help some.....probably cut back on the tabs since it's growing too lush out there which is probably keeping it soft....maybe something to raise the pH? I have seen some thick algae in tanks with high pH compare to that with low pH.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

thanks ya'll. i'm going to get the light now.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

the 10 gallon that my cyps are in have some old T12 bulbs over them and I run them for about 6 hours a day. that usually grows a pretty nice layer of hair algae on the holey rock pieces that i swap in an out...of course, it's completely gone about 5 minutes after being in the petro tank.

Comment

I put holey rock in a childs pool and leave it out side with direct sun light.
                          Have a great day and a better tomorrow

Comment

Great ideal....plus the pools are cheap!

Comment

never made it to lowes. ended up helping mike move. WOW, got to meet Spot. the ultimate fish person!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                              X