Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarium salt in freshwater tanks/ Ick

Hey all~
    I was wondering how often you keep adding salt in your freshwater tank? Also, i was reading about how it helps cure ick as well? Is this true, because I have ick outbreak and Im having trouble getting rid of it. Im using QuickCure and all the levels in the tanks are fine. Even the Temp. I dont want to lose my fish, right now my Oscar tank and Tiger barb tank has it....Ive been treating for 2 days now, Im just getting worried. That is why I am asking about the salt...Thanks to those who can help me....

Re: Aquarium salt in freshwater tanks/ Ick

1 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons.

Comment

but how often do you add that? I did that when I first put up the tank a week ago....

Comment

Only add more when you do a waterchange. If its a 50 gallon tank and you change 25 gallons of water, add enough salt to replace the salt in the 25 gallons you removed. i.e 5 tablespoons

Comment

That makes sense, I guess I can do that, do half a water change tomorrow, I just dont want to stress them out because i just did a complete water change 7 days ago....I did that because of the ick too then....thanks

Comment

Make sure your cleaning the gravel every time, id gravel vac everyday and only replace the amount of water you take out. You should get the temperature into the low 80s for a couple of days, add an airstone to increase the O2 content of the water.

Comment

[img][/img]
              This is part of my tank on one end where I have a air stone...the temp right now is 80 degrees
              Oh ya we also brought a more power filter to help circulate the water better......

Comment

The only salt I add is epsom salt during water changes......kosher/aquarium salt is only added when needed.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just be sure to keep treating, according to the instructions on the QuickCure, for the prescribed amount of time. Ich has a well-documented life cycle, and for part of this cycle it doesn't visibly affect fish. So although it might seem as though you have successfully rid the tank of ich, it's still there. Keep up with the partial water changes, too.  :)

Here's one of many good threads about ich here on HFB:
                  HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I keep a container of salt in my tanks all the time.    Hold on before you say crazy. I have those containers that a betta comes in that has the little hole and cone in the center. I fill them up and then drop them in. Its just enought to not release all the salt at one time and meters it very well. About once a month I pull them out and fill them back up again.  My fish stay happy and no ICK....ever.

I aslo tested the water with a hydrometer to make sure the levels weren't stupid and they dont even read on the scale. I had to make sure since loaches and other fish I have are or can be sensitive to salt.

Phoenix,  

Be care dosing with chemicals as you almost always will loose some fish. Like Mzungu stated, Ick has a cycle of about 4 weeks if not more. If you increase the temp, I have some airsones and pump you can borrow if needed. You can come get the tank when ever your ready. Its got plants in it but shouldnt take to long to dump out.
                    There is no "normal" life, it's just life so get on with it.

210g Mixed Reef Build
                    http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...10 Reef Build/

430g Mixed Reef Build
                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0507711&type=3

Comment

I used to add aqua. salt to the cichlid tank when I started keeping cichlid 6 years ago because my lfs owner told me to.  Last year I stopped adding salt to the tank because some posts said it is no necessarily and some document I read said alge eater might have problem with salt in the tank.  Am I exposing my cichlids to the risk of getting ich?

Comment

I add salt to all of my aquariums.  When I have any type of illness, I tend to add more along with increasing the temp.  Each tank has algae eaters as well as snails and/or shrimp.  My plecos have never really had a problem with it.  WIth an outbreak of any illness I truly follow each and every instruction on the bottle to the "t".  I use methyline blue (please excuse the spelling if it is incorrect).  Some won't use it because it turns everything blue...but from my experience everything will eventually go back to its original color..even porous rocks that would have sworn were going to be purple forever lol.  My silicone also was blue for a while, but is clear again.
                        5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                        20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                        29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                        29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                        29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                        55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                        75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                        / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Working...
                        X