Water Change Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Change Disaster

Ok this is nothing new but I need some help try to diagnose what has happened. This happened a few days ago before he arrival of the 265

Here is the story. I use a python to do what changes on all my tanks. They are all very healthy but we keep the nets in a solution of ICK away as a precaution. We also add aquarium salt to all the tanks ...just becuase it makes everyone calm and happy. On the big tanks, I have UV filters....why....just becuase. I have not added any new fish in a while and over filter all of my tanks.

The other night I was doing normal water changes. I typically suck the water down and then fill it back up as to clean the python of anything before moving to the next tank. I also add stress coat. The water that I put in is also the same temp or a little lower.  I am on a well so the water has little to no chlorine in it.

I started with the 45 hex puffer and that was fine. Then went to the 55 comunity and it went ok. I went to the 135 and within 10 minutes of filling it up I noticed my Leo's start to choke  then all my fish started gettting real sluggish. This was only 25-50% water change. I even retested the incoming water???

holy crap...panic mode.....dump the rock out .....pull the plants... started moving fish to the 110 and 65 ad 29.  
    I lost all 3 leos one tiger loach, a green terror, red borley, msobo, female blue ahli and a dimisoni.   Here is the thing. when I looked at the 55, there were two congo tetras...swimming upside down and dieing..nothing else in the tank, just those two died.

I have to be mindful that when you keep fish as a hobby then you will have to expect to loose some here and there. Problem is I want to know WHY I loose them and then I can make the changes and move forward. I am very methodical and keep a running diary of all the changes on all the tanks....why..just becuase..

I am at a loss here and devastated over the sudden loss

So all the fish that I moved out have been fine and doing ok with no other issues. Any ideas or help or advice or questions to help narrow down this would be great.
    There is no "normal" life, it's just life so get on with it.

210g Mixed Reef Build
    http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...10 Reef Build/

430g Mixed Reef Build
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0507711&type=3

Re: Water Change Disaster

Probably contaminants in the well which was after the reservoir since it happened on the last tank.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well. I say well but this is mudd district. Just not city water with all the chlorine added.

can this still happen ??

210g Mixed Reef Build

430g Mixed Reef Build

Comment

yes that can still happen....did you test the water for amonia?.....

Comment

I have seen well water that probably shouldn't be used for bathing more less anything else....also well water could have a really high TDS along with high mineral content which could have done them over.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would probably test more for pH.....most well water comes out acidic and if the tank was for cichlids with something in the tank that is raising the pH then the fluctuation could have done them in.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had something very similar happen about a week ago. All water tests came out fine.

As a side note, most people in the immediate area that I know that are on well water have a high pH.
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

You could always contact the city and ask them to give you the Drinking Water Quality Report for your area.  I looked, but Humble doesn't keep theirs online.  But, for example, Houston's surface water report has this info....

Average levels reported in 2006:

Free Chlorine = 1.4
                Chloramine = 2.5
                Nitrate = 0.25
                Nitrite = <0.01

Link to the reports for the past few years:   http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov.../waterprod.htm
                Our Fishhouse
                Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken he is on well water.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

He said a few posts up that he was on a MUD.

" well. I say well but this is mudd district. Just not city water with all the chlorine added.

can this still happen ??"
                    Our Fishhouse
                    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Chris...check w/ the MUD district for any changes they may have done to the water system...every now and then they do something here in The Woodlands, they usually send out a note ahead of time if they are going to flush the lines, etc...
                      215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
                      180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
                      58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I did check the water as  I was in panic mode thinkin trying to rule out every possible scenereo. Everything looked was perfect and normal.    The water may have been a little cooler than normal. It really was no different than the 100's of other times. I like routine.

If the water is too cold or cooler than normal causing the temp to drop say 5-10 degrees. Are some fish not able to tolerate the change?? I do believe the temp didnt fall under 77 which wouldnt be only 3-4 degress lower than I keep it.

210g Mixed Reef Build

430g Mixed Reef Build

Comment

Working...
                        X