my first planted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first planted tank

so this is about 2 hours after filling.... ADA dirt, nice big piece of driftwood, some sand and gravel, plants about 20 not sure what kinds just pointed and the guy got them.... please point out anything you guys would change.... this is my first and I am learning things as I do it... one thing... wood floats   imaging that.. even if it has a huge piece of slate attached to it.... I have a solid black back ground ... I also have a couple power heads... should I put one in? I have a huge HOK dual bio wheel filter..... do we put bubble wands in a tank like this?   anything even if it's a bad comment please feel free to lets me know how I can improve this.. or should I leave it like it is?    thanks so much.... Cope

I will update pic as it clears up...
    Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Re: my first planted tank

Wow that looks great.  I wouldn't change anything - just wait for the plants to grow out.. this will be a sweet tank.  As for the power heads and the bubble wand - the power head is ok if you need some circulation in the tank - just try not to get too much turbulence on the waters surface.  The bubble wand probably shouldn't go in there IMO.  It can drive out what co2 is in your tank.  

Very nice setup...

Comment

You can start by giving that nice big hunk of driftwood to me.... :)

Seriously, take your time, and let your mind wander and see what idea's come ot you on your own. I'm sure they will be plenty of folks offering suggestions, you're off to a great start though....keep us posted over time.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

cope that is a very sweet looking start.....believe you me it will grow beyond your wildes dreams.....but it's very nice.....if you put the powerhead in there make sure you turn it to it's lowest setting .....but all i can say is wow.....very nice.....keep us updated.....

Comment

patience is a virtue even more so in planted tanks. Unless your EK and blast so much light the Sun is impressed :wink: (you know i love you ek). I would also not use the bubble wand especially if you have the biowheels because they cause a lot of aeration and too much will pull out some of the much needed co2 for the plants. its all about balance. too much of anyone thing causes problems. of course a little extra green alge can get eaten real fast by some good ae's (alge eaters, suggestions include bristlenose plecos, siamese {not flying foxes} alge eaters, and oticinclus catifish, or even better i love para-oticinclus or pitbull plecos, they are larger then o-cats and just as active) but yeah wait it out and have fun picking the fish to go in the tank. i like rainbows for a tank that size, maybe some angels too.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

update picture... this is about48 hours.. it is clearing up nicely....  I left the area to the right open because I am hoping the angel fish will hang out in the bigger area...
            Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Comment

The tank looks nice. I agree about not going with the bubble wands.

The stones / driftwood combination look nice in that tank. Excellent start!
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

looks good cope.. wish i still lived in la porte id come by and see it..   :(

Comment

It looks great! I love that driftwood. Very nice! You did a great job, I can't imagine changing anything.
                  A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Working...
                  X