Ideas for a 75 tanganyikan tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a 75 tanganyikan tank

I was browsing cichlid-forum and came across some cookie cutter stocking ideas.  The suggestion for a 75g is:

Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12
     Eretmodus cyanostictus – 2
     Julidochromis transcriptus - 2
     Chalinochromis brichardi - 2
     Lamprologus ocellatus - 5

Some fish I'm familiar with, some I had to look up but I like the idea.  It's just the type of setup I wanted - a lot of smaller fish in a bigger tank vs a few big ones.  I've always kept mbuna before - I'd like to step off the beaten path 8)   Does anyone have experience w/ these guys - specifically the cyps and gobies?  Are they, along with the chalinochromis hard to find?  Honestly I can't remember seeing them in a lfs.  Also, does the number of each type of fish represent the ideal number of each species you should keep together(specifically the gobies, julis and chalinochromis)

I'm open to other suggestions for a setup of this type - but I would really like to have the cyps and shellies at least.

Re: Ideas for a 75 tanganyikan tank

Found info on the cyps in another thread   The other questions still stand

Comment

i have cyps and gobys in a 120 gallon tank..... 8 cyps 2 gobys.. work well together xtreem has both and they run about 20 dollars each.....
      210 gallon tank...empty.....wait till you see what is coming

Comment

you definitely need to go to Ultimate Fish if your looking to stock up on good tangs locally.

Comment

I've had cyp and gobies in a tank before as well. One thing that I have experienced though is once the Julies start breeeding in a tank, they take over the tank. I had a pair comandeer half of a 210 and keep 30+ jumbo cyps at bay. Make sure you are getting non-jumbo cyps for a 80gallon tank.

Yes, the numbers on the cookie cutter recipe are like that for a reason. If any of thejulies, gobies, or brichardi pair off, they become hyper-aggressive againt conspecifics.

Cyps and shellies make a good setup as it is by themselves. Tiapan has a tank setup exactly like this (80g).
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

So it would be better to go only with cyps/ shellies?  Would the gobies start as much trouble?  I'm just thinking that some sort of rock dweller would complete it.  Looks like Taipan has one - but it's some kind of rare fish from malawi...

Comment

The gobies would be fine in there as well. You can do any of what is listed in the "cookie cutter" recipe, I just wouldn't recommend doing all of them.

If you want julies as rock dwellers, PM me 8)
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

i have cyps/ two types of shell dwellers (gold ocelatus, and Mulitfaciatus)/ brichari dafodils(cant remmember specific scientific name for them)/ and melanchromis joanjohnsonae (thats what i have decided, not totally rare just not common anymore, but hoping they make a come back i LOVE them) I will admit that the tank is a little over fill, largely because everything but the dafodils is breeding. If you need multis i will have some ready by our auction for sure, maybe some by the swap and sell this month.  I also have lots and lots of live plants in the tank though, and am doing fairly frequent water changes (but not huge ones). I love the interaction between the guys in the tank. the malawi guys dont bother anyone and vice versa. oh i also have two bristlenose plecos and a rubberlip pleco that are doing fine. Before in my 55 i have julies/ neolamp brichardi (the normal ones)/ calvus/ and Lemon cichlids (neolamp leleupi) and my starter cyps (the school i have came from some of them breeding) and they did well together, but i dont think shellies would have worked in that larger rock dweller set up unless they were there first or were larger shellies like Brevis. you kinda have to play it by ear but definately shop around and see what you can get from us online because a lot of tangs are mighty expensive from the store. fish gallery has cyps right now for 30 dollars a piece, and some brevis for like 16, OUCH.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

oh and as a side note my brevis chased my cyps s bad i had to take them out of the 75. thats why i have ocellatus and multis in there now and they do great.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

Yea you're not kidding about the Tang$.  When is the ghac auction?  I'll definately have to check that out - hopefully I'll have time to get the 75 ready.  The multies / occelatus I can probably pick up earlier... I have a 29 and a couple of 10's lying around I could use....

Arm - I'll keep you in mind for the julies... I've been thinking about a julie species tank for a while.

Comment

his transcriptus are really pretty. i wish more of my gombi had made it cus they look great but im down to two. the big auction is being planned for in late august or early september (probably august) but the swap and sell is this month. havent decided if the multis are ready just yet. only have 3 breeding and want to have a few older to get a good size seond colony going so i dont have anything to worry about :wink:  dont want to lose any breeding populations you know. i cant wait to get my daffodils going. they are getting near when they will pair up soon. then i will have to pull then out and put them in a tank all their own to multiply :wink:
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President

Comment

Working...
                      X