DIY low budget pellet grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY low budget pellet grinder

Not much to this, but didn't know where else to post it.  

I needed to crush earthworm and shrimp pellets for my Corydora fry and Kuhlii loaches.  
    I found for about $2.xx you can get a grinder or pepper mill in the spice section of Walmart.  It doesn't hold much, but I'm dealing with fry so it should last a while.  These are usually disposable, but if you're careful and don't crack the container, you can get the lid off, dump out the contents (I get the ones with 100% sea salt and I use the salt in the brackish tank), rinse well and refill with whatever pellets you're wanting to grind up.  Replace the lid, and Voila! You now have a nifty, inexpensive fish food grinder!  

They had a slightly larger grinder, that holds meat seasoning, but I haven't tried that one to see if the lid easily removes/replaces and I have no use for the seasoning inside.  I'll have to look for a larger refillable mill somewhere for grinding larger quantities - then I can just put the preground stuff in regular spice shakers.   Right now though, budget dictates efficiency as a priority, and the grinder keeps those darn little pellets from flying all over the room like they did when I was trying to crush them with various objects (spoons, steel rollers, etc).
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: DIY low budget pellet grinder

an old fashioned mortar and pestel works fairly well too, but i like the grinder idea.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
    X