Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS---Shark with (bend?) in it's tail

Hey,
    I noticed my rainbow shark was looking poorly--saw what looked like signs of ick and white clouded eyes,  so I moved it from my 55 to a smaller 15 gallon Eclipse for treatment. It is the only fish in the Eclipse.

(since no other fish in the 55 showed any signs of illness)

I dosed the tank twice with Ick medication (Ick Clear by Tank Buddies = Victoria Green and Acriflavine)
    two doses cleared up the ick and the eye film.
    But there was a secondary problem that has not cleared up--the shark has a bend in it's tail. This was not there before, and I have seen this happen in sick fish before.

What Is it it and what can I do to help clear it up

Any information you can give me would be most appreciated. I filled in my tank details to your questionairre below

Thanks,
    Oxyrhynchus

Tell us about the fish: Rainbow Shark (older fish)
    1)Which fish have what symptoms: Shark had ick, cloudy eyes, and a bend in it's tail. Ick gone,cloudy eyes mostly gone, bend still present after two doses of Ick meds following instructions to do 25% water change before second dose.

2)What medications have been tried: Ick Clear by Tank Buddies
    3)When they were introduced to the tank, did fish from where they came from have symptoms: This shark is an old resident (no new additions)
    4)Numbers, size, and types of fish in your tank: 2 large clown loaches, a placo, a cory cat and 3 pictus cats and the Rainbow shark
    5)What, how much, and how often you feed: I feed them all Tetramin pro crisps and Hikari algae wafers, I only feed fish once a day

However, I Just recently added multiple bubblers and an extra pump to the tank it and it was like the fish became hyper (extra oxygen?) my equipment had aged and I never realized they were probably oxygen deprived--so then I may have pushed the state to the opposite extreme when I got all new stuff. A New Rena 400 pump and a larger new powerhead and lots more air stones plus a second pump.

so they were exhibiting a new behavior--minor feeding frenzy--so I gave them a bit more food than usual---So the tank has not been as clean as it should be and I am fixing the problem. I

6)How much water you change and how often: last water change about a week ago 40% or so because I was overfeeding.. Just recleaned again tonight and will do some more tomorrow.

I think the water conditions are responsible for the fish's illness since my latest error in judgement is the only new factor :(

Tell as much as you know about the tank and equipment:
    7)When was the tank set up: Years and years ago
    8)How many gallons: 55
    9)What's your water temperature: 79-80degrees
    10)What's your ph: not sure
    11)What's your ammonia level: right now it's 0%
    12)Hardness level: not sure have not tested this for years
    13)Type(s) of filter(s): Rena Filstar 2
    14)Anything else we should know:
Working...
X