Finicky Eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finicky Eater

One of the bettas I bought is too good for flake food.   Very good looking, obvious snob.  Turns his noise at the flake while the tetra go for it.  I am going to try feeding him again tomorrow with some dried red mosquito larva.  My sister uses the sinking betta pellets, and I could try that too.

He pokes around in the dirt so he may be eating the sunken flake.  
    Definetely a personality different than the other one I bought.  I've had to take him out of a reflective background tank cause he spent all his time trying to kick his own fins.

I'm sure he will be fine.  Anything else I should try feeding to him?  Any other suggestions for keeping a community betta (things other than bettas I should not keep them with)?

Enjoying 2 crowntails from Fish Ranch.  Thanks!

Re: Finicky Eater

well some you can also use live food, but if you are trying to do dry food, freeze dried bloodworms is always good, i have 12 bettas and they all love the bloodworms....PhishPhreek is an expert...im sure he will send some info your way....

Comment

Bettas are pretty hardy. They're relatively easy to wean onto any prepared foods. They won't starve.
      Try crushing the flake into smaller pieces and swish it around in the water. Hopefully he'll feel adventurous to try some.
      Try introducing new foods in the morning, after he's starved overnight.
      Keep up the feeding and he'll eventually start taking flake.

Bettas are excellent community fish. Just make sure you don't keep him with any baby shrimp or fry. He'll make a quick meal out of them. And obviously not with anything that could swallow him in a gulp.
      Oh.. and no barbs too.. or they might give him a hair cut.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I have been wanting to start shrimp in one of my tanks.  I suppose though the black neon and cardinal tetra would just as easily eat baby shrimp.  I will worry about shrimp when I decide to get them.  

I am going try pellets and freeze dried bloodworm and if that doesn't work I am sure he will eat frozen bloodworm.  What fish wouldn't?  Course I've never had a fish before that wouldn't eat flake.  Makes this fish interesting.

Comment

he'll certainly eat guppy fry.  Also daphnia pulex (the small daphnia), baby daphnia magna and small scuds.  I never tried giving him larger of the aforementioned - was afraid their shells might not be too good for him.  
          Mine also went nuts over some flightless fruit flies (the smaller ones - forget the particular name for those).  I only gave mine that stuff as treats, otherwise he eats omega one super color shrimp flakes like it's the best stuff on the planet.
          The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
          Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

My wife got a crown tail from Charles also.  I found that I have to crush the sinking pellet for the fish, otherwise the fish spits it out.  I expect that the pellet is too large for the young betta's mouth.  sunrise

Comment

The fish (he) seems partial to sunken food, but did eat some flake today while feeding the tetra.  I can't tell if the tiny black neons are spooking him from eating.  

In unfortunate news, my sister's betta died and I was considering giving her one of mine.  This would only be because I would like some shrimp.  Can little neons and cardinals eat baby shrimp?  I suppose it doesn't matter if I get mature shrimp.

Otherwise I am going to take her to Fish Ranch this weekend and let her pick out a new betta.  She really liked my red-white and blue one :-)

Comment

Working...
              X