Is this any good or worthless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this any good or worthless?

I just replanted and changed the substrate in a couple of tanks. I'm not posting pictures because it looks wayyyyy to bare for now. But my question is I purchased new bulbs last night and want to know if these are any good or worthless. I didn't have much of a choice so I got what they had. All the lights are 15w.
    1-Aqua-glo 18,000k - on the 28 gallon bowfront. It sort of gives a yellowish-orange tint to the tank. Almost looks like tannis in the water. Not sure if I like it yet.
    1-Aqua-glo 18,000k & 1-Flora-glo 2,800k- on the 44 pentagon. With the 2 different style bulbs it gives the tank an evening look. Not bright but not too yellowish-orange either.
    Now don't yell but the bulbs I had on the 44 pentagon were very very old. I never changed them because: I never had any plants in this tank before. Now that I want real plants I want to do it right, well sort of right. I try to get only low light plants that don't need co2. I contacted a guy that sells lots of plants and he sent me a list with pictures. I just picked out the plants I liked and he mailed them to me. I don't really remember the names. I also purchased a few from petsmart. After reading the forums the substrate I choose was the Aquatic soil from home depot. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on substrate just yet. I want to see how things go first. I guess you could say I am just dipping my toes for now.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Is this any good or worthless?

The Aqua-Glo should do well with plants, at least it always has for me. Same with Flora-Glo, but I think (if I remember correctly) I like the Aqua-Glo a tiny bit better. But that's only personal preference, I think.

The only problem I see is that you're probably going to want to get another fixture or two for each of the tanks, just because that's really not a lot of lighting, even for low-light plants. You say they're 15W each, so is that a few 20" fixtures you have?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

On the 28 gallon I only have 1 light. The light I had in it before was a Eclipse Natural Daylight I don't see how many watts but it has 46K on it. I had the same two plants in this tank along with some java fern and the plants have almost tripled in size.

On the 44 Gallon I had the same light in one fixture Eclipse Natural Daylight, and the other fixture was a very very old corallife bulb, can't read any other writing on it, it's all peeling off. I don't the watts on either of the bulbs that were on it before. I always had two lamps on this tank because if I use one it was too dark. All the bulbs are a 18" bulb and it's really hard to find that size with more wattage around here unless I order it. I just made a couple of orders this week but forgot about lighting so it will be a while before I order again.

Comment

Yeah, you probably won't be able to find any 18" bulbs with more than 15W. Unless they're high outputs, and then you would need a different ballast.

I was just asking if the fixtures were 20", sorry.

But, if your plants were growing well before, then you should be fine with the Aqua-Glos.

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood.

Comment

How do you mean?

I think I did, too!!  

Comment

I thought you were saying I needed more light fixtures on the tank. But there's no room. The 44 gallon has a black lid with two spots for a light. I have two lights on it for a total of 30 watts. I know it's probally not enough light but I am planning to upgrade it to a 75 - 100 gallon in the next few weeks. Should I have just got a plain white light, like from home depot or something. The 28 has a spot for only one light.
              If I put a larger light on the 44 I would have to hang it from the ceiling and take the hood off. Same thing with the 28. Although the 28 does have a glass lid. Now my other tanks there's plenty of room for more or larger lights but there is also fish in those that will tear apart any plant that I put in it.

I really don't want to go all out and get expensive lighting right now. I just want to see how things go first. Maybe later I will upgrade to T-5 or something not quite as expensive at Metal Halide's.

Comment

Mzungu,
                Thanks for pulling up that old post, I never noticed it before. I guess the bulbs I have on it now should be ok. I was so confused when I first started to read it. I am not that technical yet.   Anyway thanks again.

Comment

Oh, sure thing!!  :)

I think another 15W on either tank would be good, but if there's no room, then I wouldn't worry about it. I guess I'm just trying to visualize what sort of fixtures you have on the tanks. Are they just normal strip lights? As in, you have 3 strip lights? Or maybe 2, one single and one double? Or are they all-in-one hoods, like for Eclipse systems? If they're just normal strip lights, then (depending on the dimensions of the new 75-100g you're getting) you might be able to transfer them over to the new tank.

Hmm, I think I just answered my own question... Is this the pentagon aquarium you have?

And this 28g bow?

If you wanted to, you might be able to add another fixture to the 28, but one of the 16" or 12" fluorescent fixtures. I guess adding one of the fixtures from your 44 won't work, it probably wouldn't fit, like you said.

If anything, they're good to have around just in case. And I do really like the Aqua-Glos, so I think it was a good purchase.  :)

Comment

Yes my pentagon is similar to that but it has a place for 2 light strips. Both strips have a single bulb. And yes that is what my 28 looks like. Thanks for the advise. I'm going to leave it as is until I can upgrade. Hopefully it will be real soon. I am looking foward to combining 3 tanks into one. Less work for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X