Critique my tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my tank!

Just need some input / suggestions / criticism on my planted tank.  This tank will be for apistos or rams.  I already have 20 ember tetras and one BN.  I like the way it looks now - but it doesn't feel right just yet.  Any suggestions?  Also, I'm open for stocking ideas :wink:

Equip is: 65wX2 dual daylight 6700k compact, stock "Jebo" in hood filtration.  I have the red sea "paintball style co2 system coming this week.

Re: Critique my tank!

looks great.  I'm sure it will look even better as the plants grow.
    I would add some more water or add some black plastic tape at the top to hide the waterline. 8)
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Ah yea - made me go back and look... my water happens to be about 1/4" too low. It's usually filled up past the plastic trim

Comment

personaly I think it looks pretty good.... I have no experience with planted tanks.... but have done extensive research..... suggestion: they always say to slope the substrate higher in the back...... love the drift wood.......... It looks like it needs something in the right rear corner.... maybe a pile of rocks.... I have some lava rocks in my tank and they have a nice texture..... I am going to experiment with foam... carving cliff walls and them appling a coat of epoxy .......going from bottom to top...... one other thing..... maybe make a little pebble walk way of sorts winding from front to around the back of the driftwood....... you ask..... I told........     only my view point......     I hope to make a planted tank soon....... great job     keeps us updated as it grows..... interesting to see progressive results.... Cope
        Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Comment

This driftwood is somewhat odd placing, probadly because it is bigger than the plants behind, and block it. Did you try to move it all the way to the left side to see how it looks.

In addition, do you expect that the front grass is going to cover as foreground? HC or layers of riccia can do the job since you get a lot of area to cover.

Try to place some dark green plant on your wood such as ferns or anubia to make better contrast against the bright green plants. Or red plants such as Tiger Lotus, or other species you can find at LFS. Place red on one side and green on one side of the tank, and it could be a new layout.

You don't have that much amount of plants for the amount of light provided. To save works from algae, you want to limit the photo hour not more than 7 hours a day.

Good luck
          100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
          30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

I think as soon as you get the CO2 running you will have no problem with the plants filling in. It looks like you have Microsword or something like that as the planned foreground, is that correct? For me, that tends to grow kinda slowly, but will eventually fill in. Are you dosing any ferts?

Also, I didn't notice if you posted the size of the tank...?

Do you know the names of the plants you currently have? To me, it seems you have a couple of swords, anacharis, and maybe some kind of anubias on the left side? If it is anubias, it will do very well tied on to the driftwood.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Nice start, keep us posted, we love pics.

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

ITS LOOKS GOOD I LIKE IT.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.. I AGREE WITH COPE IT DOES NEED SOMETHING IN THE FAR BACK RIGHT SIDE.. SOME ROCKS WOULD LOOK NICE.. =)

Comment

Thanks all for the input and complements :)

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                  I think as soon as you get the CO2 running you will have no problem with the plants filling in. It looks like you have Microsword or something like that as the planned foreground, is that correct? For me, that tends to grow kinda slowly, but will eventually fill in. Are you dosing any ferts?

Also, I didn't notice if you posted the size of the tank...?

Do you know the names of the plants you currently have? To me, it seems you have a couple of swords, anacharis, and maybe some kind of anubias on the left side? If it is anubias, it will do very well tied on to the driftwood.
                  They are microswords - do they really grow so slow?  For fertilizer, I used the seachem flourish tabs.  I've been using red sea trace element drops - 3 per day. I'm thinking I should pick up a bottle of flourish liquid??

As for my tank size - it's a 37g - 29 x 16 x 20

Comment

Working...
                  X