Some pictures of my planted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pictures of my planted tank

Go easy on me this is my first try at a planted tank and i dont have pressurized CO2 yet.

The Wisteria looked better when i bought it but i got a bad case of BBA. I removed two stems of wisteria leaving the babies and 2 stems for the red shrimp to hide in. The Wisteria and the Ludwigia (??sp) have shot roots vertically down from the tops. Are they supposed to do this or is my tank lacking something. I have 2 canisters in the mail to replace the HOBs.

The Ludwigia is the one i bought at the last HAS auction when it was ~6". Its now 2ft+.

I have some green spot algae still but im increasing the phosphate levels. I have 3 bottles of yeast/sugar bubbling through an airstone. Im dosing the Rex Griggs dry ferts at half the recommended amounts. The lights are 4 x 56w T6's. 2 Plant growth/2 daylight.

Does anyone know the type of Apistos?

I also have 6 Discus (unknown types), Albino Longfins, RCS and Bamboo Shrimp.

Looking for constructive comments and suggestions. I know i need proper CO2 injection but what about the roots growing out of the Ludwigia? Im going to remove the Larger Wisteria after the babies grow out a bit.

Re: Some pictures of my planted tank

more

Comment

Looks like your off to a good start, thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I can't offer any advice here, I'm sure you've done your homework and all will be just fine.

Good Luck

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I know it'll be a while for it to all grow in. I'll probably redo it when it gets thicker.

Comment

Nice setup Chris.
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

I still need to add the background and change the HOBs to Canisters. Then trim the Wisteria and replace the heater with an inline or move it behind something. I didnt get any Cardinals so im thinking about adding the Serpa(sp?) Tetras I have in QT. I probably wont add them tho, i still want cardinals and wont really be happy with the Serpas.

Comment

nice set up chris.....looks very good so far.....will be anxious to watch your progress......keep us updated....

Comment

What is the size of the tank, pH and temp? If you keep it (temp) high for the discus it doesn't help the plants. You need to find the comfortable zone for both. I guess your pH fluctuate (DIY CO2), this can cause the algae problem (do I see a BBA on the gravel?). You need more of fast growing plants to jump start, then replace them step by step with plants you really want. Carefully with the ferts, don't know how many W/G of light you have. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry. Its a 55g, pH 7.2, temp 80F.

I dont see any more BBA, i do have greenspot algae. Im adding phosphate which i think is supposed to help get rid of the greenspot. Im currently looking for a CO2 setup.

The lights are actually 108w plant growth/108w daylight = 216 watts. I have glass lids because the 55 is 1" longer than a regular 55 and the stands dont fit it. The Ludwigia is growing very fast. Any idea on the roots forming towards the tops of the plants?

Comment

The photos were taken with no flash.

Comment

The roots from the tops are caused by ferts in the water. Same thing in my tank. I don't recall that problem when I was running the old fashion low tech tank back in the 80ties.

Comment

So i can trim the roots off?

Comment

Sure you can but they are going to grow back.

Comment

If you can take the whole front view, it'll be more easier for us. In my opinion, your tank needs more plants, a lot more for easy balanced system, b/c sword and crypts are slow growers. Besides, try to add varied stem plants or rows of vals in the back to enhance the background, or have a nature look.

What are the substrate ingredients? It should be at least 2+ inch in depth to ensure strong growths of plants.

Bogdan mentioned the water parameter. So, be cautious for algae by keeping track of the ammonia/ nitrite tests.

So far, all the plants look very greenish and healthy. Good luck.
                            100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
                            30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

Yeah, the Ludwigia will tend to do that. If you want, you can trim the plants halfway from the bottom of the stem and replant the top portion. That might help, since it seems the majority of the 'misbehaved' roots start at about the top of the water line, causing the ludwigia to grow horizontally. It will also encourage the plant to grow vertically (until, of course, it reached the top and the whole process repeats itself).  :)

Is this the tank you were talking about with the pond substrate?

I've never really had swords grow slowly, expecially with a nutrient rich substrate. Do you happen to have a list of the plants currently in the setup? Or at least a rough estimate?

Also, I too would like to see a full tank shot!

The apistos look an awful lot like A. cacatuoides...Where did they come from?
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X